From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 2000 01:50:23 -0600
From: Arjun Puri
Subject: [PCBUILD] Fwd: Toshiba Tecra CS500 - boot failure

> a nephew who knows even less about computers than i do brought
> me his toshiba tecra (500cs) because it wouldn't boot.  he didn't
> have a recovery disk.
>
> i tried to boot with my win98 recovery disk and the normal ramdisk
> was set up in memory.  there was a message that the partition
> table couldn't be read on the fixed drive (implication - the fixed drive
> was recognised?).  when i tried to redefine the partition through fdisk,
> fdisk gave a message that there was no hard drive.
>
> this tecra also has a removable cd-rom drive and this was fitted into a
> special slot.  this too was not recognised by the system at boot up time.
>
> can anyone throw some light on what is happening?  words of
> advice on what might be done to get the system up and goin would
> be greatly appreciated.

> Arjun Puri

This model of Tecra came with Win 95 installed on it.  The BIOS must be
upgraded to support Windows 98.  Toshiba has a specific way that this laptop
must be upgraded to support Windows 98.  The BIOS and the internal modem
driver must be upgraded first, then you must uninstall the infrared driver.
After Win98 is installed the display driver is updated and you install the
Infrared driver and the windows 98 utilities. You can find the information
here:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/tais/csd/support/products/98upg/index.htm?1015.

You can also download the Toshiba BIOS/CMOS setup program which is run from
floppy disk from this URL:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/Toshiba.woa/wa/ssDownload?seri
es=54.

Hope this helps.