From:
Matthew Ballard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 17:59:14 -0800
>Speed-wise, I don't think you can have that speed with basic service on
>ADSL. My friend can only download at 20K/Sec with ADSL. If I can figure out
>security issues, I'd prefer cable.

Speed totally depends on both the phone company providing the physical
connection, and the ISP providing the service.  In my case I use EarthLink
DSL, with the physical connection provided by Pacific Bell, and I get
download speeds of up to ~150-160KB/sec, depending on different factors.
My connection has a guaranteed 384K up to 1.5Mbits/sec download speed, with
an upload of 128K.
Here are a the main DSL phone companies bandwidths for the basic plan that
I know (guaranteed is always to the phone company central office):
All SBC divisions (Southwestern Bell, Pacific Bell, Nevada Bell, and
believe Ameritech is the same):
384K guaranteed, up to 1.5Mbits/sec download, ~128K upload
GTE:
up to 768K download, ~128K upload
Bell Atlantic:
I believe ~640K download, ~90 upload
US West:
256K download, 256K upload, and a lower priced hybrid DSL/dial-up
configuration
Covad (Competive carier):
~608 download, 128K upload.

Most of the companies offer a more expensive, faster option for home usage,
although prices vary.  Most of the above plans can be gotten for $50 or less.
Matthew Ballard
Computer Consultant

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html