From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 09:43:07 -0800
On Thu, 30 Mar 2000 06:56:38 -0500, Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Ken Stuart wrote:
>
>> First, I don't see any reason to lose LBM on the Zone.   The protein
>> calculations are identical to those in Protein Power, and they are designed to
>> be adjusted for the amount of activity.
>
>This is what Sears says, but its rubbish.  When calories are
>sufficiently restricted, there's no amount of protein that will
>prevent LBM loss.  *That's* the difference between the Zone and
>Protein Power.  Burning of stored body fat is a rate-limited
>process, as even Sears admits.  1000 cal/day is about the upper
>limit of that process.  If the caloric deficit is more than that,
>as it was on my Zone prescription, then there is no alternative
>to burning muscle.

I think you are confusing the Zone Diet with what someone tells you to eat
(regardless of their official status). :-)

There is nothing in the Zone Diet theory that requires a caloric deficit greater
than that which can produce the most burning of stored body fat.

The Zone Diet (being a performance and health diet) was first tested on Olympic
athletes, who consumed greater protein portions, in accordance with their
activity level, and also consumed significantly greater fat portions to meet
their caloric needs.

--
Cheers,

Ken