VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jim Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:22:01 -0500
Last December my parents got a computer.  My dad was 82 and my mom
79.  Now, how is it that they, at their age, got involved with a new
fangled gadget like a computer?  Oh I should also add, my dad is a retired
Iowa farmer, not Mr. high tech by any means.  In fact, he started out
farming with horses!  You can now find him on ZForm Poker, one of the
sighted folks playing it.

So, how did such a couple get involved in the computer age.  Well, I did
it.  I could have chosen a few approaches, the worst of which would have
been to have taken them to a place like Fry's Electronics, and told them
about processor speeds, bus speeds, main memory, disk capacity, not to
mention l2 cache size.  Then I could have said, "Now that I've exposed you
to all this technology, what do you think?"  If I had done all that, they
still wouldn't have a computer!

What I did was went out and bought them a laptop, with the software they
needed, and helped, and got help, in showing them what buttons to
push.  Now they're using the computer and loving it.  So, did I expose them
to technology?  You bet.  Did I give them a thorough overview of what was
available, hell no!  The reason is that they were ignorant of what it all
meant.

Now, let's say I want to show technology for the blind to a bunch of high
school age folks.  Maybe some of them know Braille to a lesser or greater
extent.  Maybe some of them would benefit from a good overview of the
Braille displays available, but many would have been simply
overwhelmed.  Wouldn't it be best for me to show them a few pieces of
technology, then also show them what they could do as blind
people?  Remember, a lot of these folks have never had a lot of the
experiences those of us who went to a school for the blind back in the
1960s had.  How many, do you honestly think, have used power tools?  How
many have had home ec, and learned to cook?

I would agree that, if a group of us on the vicug-l mailing list went to
the NFB tech center to see technology, we could reasonably expect to be
shown what they have.  But then we're adults with, supposedly, a sense of
what is available, and hopefully a sense of what our capabilities are.

Let us remember that technology is a relative term.  When we, as computer
users, think of technology we think of computerized wizbang gizmos that
have lots of speed, memory, and all the bells and whistles.  But, if you've
been kept out of shop class, for example, isn't a radial arm saw
technology?  If you've been discouraged from cooking because you might burn
yourself, isn't it refreshing to know that you can cook under a blind fold,
no less?

Maybe, now, after their trip to the NFB center, some of these students have
the self confidence to go out and tackle the technology.

--
Jim Shaffer
home phone:  (512)989-5701