VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gordan Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gordan Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jul 2002 16:41:48 -0700
Dear Jim,  I much appreciated your comments.  Many of them valid, but
for some of us older folks, the technology now available to the blind
and visually impaired it has been a "God-send".  At age 80 I have been
legally  blind for the last 8 years (20/400).  I have always been an
active vigorous person in all of my adult life.  Everything I did was
dependent on excellent clear vision.  WW 2 pilot training instructor,
B-24 Pilot Commander, retired US Air Force LtCol at age 58.
Self-employed in three successful business activities.  All of my adult
life I depended on good vision for these accomplishments.  THE last ten
years I worked in residential property management for a privately owned
family investment trust.  Good vision was paramount to success.  As an
avocation I continued to fly light planes, cross-country motor cycling,
dirt biking the sand dunes of the California desert in addition to back
packing and camping in some of the wilderness areas.
In less than 30 days my life was shut down due to blindness.
Today, my life has new meaning, a reason to be alive.  I am again
active  in my daily life.  I rebelled at making pottery, threading
needles and told I couldn't use power tools etc.
What am I tryig to say...
1.  Without todays expanding adaptibe technology I would be siting in my
lounge chair, flipping the renote on ny TV,  waiting for a reader (very
expensive) to manage my personal life.
2.  Technology and other avenues of opportunity allows me to pay bills
automatically, get cash at the supermarket, travel extensively, local
and cross country with a white cane and a vigorus application of asking
for assistance when necessary.
3.  And much more.

he responce to your very valid (for You) comments to the NFB article is
appreciated by myself.  Especially the use of "Common Sense" as an
solution to adjusting to blindness at any age.  I detest the old
doggerel,  "you cannot teach an old dog new tricks."  First of all we
are not dogs.  But, more importantly, we are not learning new trick!
But, we are finding new ways to live successful and healthy lives.
For example, I grew up and lived in an age where I never had to learn
touch typing, dictation to a compent secretary or a clerk typest took
care of what I used to call "grunt work".
Today, I used my tech assistance to read your e-mail, write this tirade
and have a lot of fun doing it.  I dread to think of what my life would
be like if technology had only advance to where it was as short as 20
years ago.
HOORAY! for technology, HOORAAY! FOR progress, HOORAY! the good old
ways, HOORAY! living in today's world, but the biggest HOORAY! goes to
good old "COMMON SENSE".  It will never go out of style.
Thanks, Jim.  Gordon Wahl
####