VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David Poehlman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 00:21:46 -0500
This message originally had lots of junk at the top of it and too many >
signs to count.  I have cleaned it up and placed it below for those who
have problems with the original as I did.  I do not know if this is
true.  It seems not to be due to the way it was spread but I am seking
clarification on this and will post when recieved.

 Subj: Don't ever dial area code 809

 THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION PROVIDED TO US BY AT&T.
 DON'T EVER DIAL AREA CODE 809

 This one is being distributed all over the US.
 This is pretty scary, especially given the way they try to get you to
 call. Be sure you read this and pass it on to all your friends and
family
 so they don't get scammed!

 MAJOR SCAM:
 Don't respond to Emails, phone calls, or web pages which tell you to
call
 an "809" Phone Number. This is a very important issue of Scam Busters
 because it alerts you to a scam that is spreading *extremely* quickly
can
 easily cost you $2400 or more, and is difficult to avoid unless you
are
 aware of it. We'd like to thank Verizon for bringing this scam to our
 attention. This scam has also been identified by the National Fraud
 Information Center and is costing victims a lots of money. There are
lots
 of different permutations of this scam.

 HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

 You will receive a message on your answering machine or your pager,
which
 asks you to call a number beginning with area code 809. The reason
you're
 asked to call varies. It can be to receive information about a family
 member who has been ill, to tell you someone has been arrested, died,
 let you know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.
 In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since
 there are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return
 these
 calls.

 If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $2425
per-minute.
 Or, you'll get a long recorded message. The point  is, they will try
 keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.
 Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged
more
 than $24100.00.

 WHY IT WORKS:

 The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin Islands (The
Bahamas).
 The 809 area code can be used as a "pay-per-call" number, similar to
900
 numbers in the US. Since 809 is not in the US, it is not covered by
U.S.
 regulations of 900 numbers, which require that you be notified and
warned
 of charges and rates involved when you call a pay-per-call" number.

 There is also no requirement that the company provide a time period
during

 which you may terminate the call without being charged. Further, where
as
 many U.S. homes that have 900 number blocking to avoid these kinds of
 charges, do not work in preventing calls to the 809 area code.
 We recommend that no matter how you get the message, if you are asked
 call a number with an 809 area code that you don't recognize just
 disregard the message. Be wary of email or calls asking you to call an
809

 area code number. It's important to prevent becoming a victim of this
 scam, since trying to fight the charges afterwards can
 become a real nightmare. That's because you did actually make the
call.
If

 you complain, both your local phone company and your long distance
carrier

 will not want to get involved and will most likely tell you that they
 are simply providing the billing for the foreign company.
 You'll end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they have
done
 nothing wrong. Please forward this entire message to your
 friends, family and colleagues to help them become aware of this scam.