VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Steve Zielinski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 20:21:07 -0500
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:57:02 -0500
From: Clarence Whaley <[log in to unmask]>
To: gw-news <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Press release for Window-Eyes 4.1

PRESS RELEASE

CONTACT:
Clarence Whaley
Main Office:  219/489-3671
Direct:  615/383-6248
http://www.gwmicro.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Date:  April 27, 2001

Window-Eyes 4.1 is Released!

GW Micro announces the release of Window-Eyes 4.1.  This Fort Wayne,
Indiana-based adaptive software company produces the most reliable and rock
solid screen reader in the world for Windows 9x and Me.  Window-Eyes 4.1
introduces the most flexible, configurable, and responsive software for
people who are blind allowing them to both listen to and feel all the
wonders available through personal computers.

Window-Eyes 4.1 introduces revolutionary support for Grade 2 Braille with
close to 30 Braille displays supported.  Window-Eyes 4.1 provides enhanced
support for Internet applications such as Internet Explorer 5.5, the soon
to be released Internet Explorer 6.0, Outlook Express 5.5, Outlook 2000,
Eudora, PMMail, Agent, and much more.

Window-Eyes 4.1 offers the most user-friendly, user interface utilizing
standard Windows controls like check boxes, list boxes, and buttons.
Changing settings such as Braille displays, synthesizers, volumes, pitches,
tones, rates, verbosity settings, mouse control, and keyboard control are
all done with a few keystrokes. These changes can be saved in set files and
passed around from user to user.

"Window-Eyes has never been considered a complicated or difficult program
to use; we want people to understand that. This fact is emphasized even
more with our fantastic Braille support.  We believe that people who are
blind should be given a choice.  Window-Eyes really gives "freedom" and
independence at an affordable price." says Clarence Whaley, the Director of
Sales and Marketing at GW Micro.

Window-Eyes 4.1 offers a tremendous amount of new features such as the
ability to read complicated tables in Internet Explorer, access to
previously hidden progress bars, and automatic reading of ToolTips.  For
the first time the user manual is available in MP3 format right on the
CD.  That makes learning the program easier than ever.

After doing much research and talking with many Braille users, GW Micro
developed comprehensive specifications for supporting Braille displays.
This research has definitely paid off.  Window-Eyes 4.1 has a very
flexible, powerful, and reliable interface.  People love how intuitive the
Braille support is and how easy it is to customize.  Also the users have
the ability to toggle between Grade One and Grade Two Braille.  That makes
using a Braille display even better.

"Efficient access to electronic information is vital in my work as a
psychologist and is increasingly important to me personally as a parent and
active member of my community.  As a totally blind person, the computer is
useless to me without a screen reader that can speak or display in Braille
the information that appears on the monitor.  I have found that Window-Eyes
from GW Micro provides me with a reliable and easy to use access
solution.  In my experience Window-Eyes is flexible and stable.  I find the
GW Micro technical support to be excellent and I am pleased with how
Window-Eyes gets better and better with each new version." says Dr. Robert
Carter, a well-known Texas psychologist.

GW Micro has collaborated with Adobe Systems in creating Adobe Acrobat 5.0
to change the way people who are blind access PDF files.  The development
staff at GW Micro coupled with the efforts of Adobe Systems has enhanced
their respective products to allow people who are blind to read PDF
documents.  It's as though they are viewing a web page, and it's easy to
fill out complicated electronic forms.  The majority of PDF documents that
were once inaccessible are now available for all.  Window-Eyes 4.1 even
includes the user manual in PDF format in addition to other formats!

"Adobe is pleased to have worked so closely with GW Micro to provide people
who are blind with full access to Adobe Acrobat 5.0.  We realize the need
for the visually impaired to have equal access to important software
releases and we will continue to work with GW Micro to ensure this." --
Matthew Rozen, Adobe Systems.

About GW Micro

Founded in February 1990, GW Micro is committed to offering their Customers
the most stable, "rock solid" products, the most highly trained technical
support staff, and that personal touch to make a difference for people who
are blind and visually impaired.

Clarence Whaley
Director Of Sales And Marketing
GW Micro
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]
Direct Voice (615) 383-6248
Direct Fax (615) 269-5288
GW Micro Voice Number 219-489-3671
http://www.gwmicro.com

gw-news list which is an announce only list used for news,
product information and the Voice of Vision newsletter
distribution.