VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:58:26 -0400
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:11:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Kelly Ford <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [webwatch] Acrobat 5 with Accessibility Support Is Out

Hi All,

Acrobat 5, the version from Adobe that has accessibility for some screen
readers as part of the product is out.  You can get info and a copy of the
software from <http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html>.

This is not the main download pointed to by Adobe.  I'm not sure what's up
with the different versions.  When I installed the general 5.0 release I
received an error message pointing me to the alternative version.

I haven't experimented much with the product yet.  Window-Eyes 4.1 beta 3
and JAWS 3.7.87 both seem to load PDF files directly into a view much like
you get with Internet Explorer i.e. MSAA mode for Window-Eyes and Virtual
PC for JAWS.

I haven't tried completing any forms with the new version.

Interestingly, and quite nice to note, the accessibility view of a PDF
file seems to load correctly inside of IE.  This means no more downloading
the file first and launching Acrobat.

Again these are preliminary comments based on just a quick test of the
software.

Comments from others are welcome.

Kelly

To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [log in to unmask]