VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Sep 2000 06:47:41 -0500
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Karen Thomas wrote:

> I am getting ready to purchase a new system and am not sure whether to go
> with Windows 98, ME, or 2000.  I am interested in knowing what the best bet
> is in terms of stability as I heard some not so good things about ME and
> 2000 early on.  I am using JFW and have the 3.7 upgrade to install on the
> new computer.

Funny you should ask, because I am buying my first Windows system and
considered the same issues.  First, Windows 2000 is for networks.  It used
to be called Windows NT, but they changed the name.  It is not intended
and is best not used on a stand alone desk top machine.

I decided to go with Windows 98 second edition.  Windows ME is being
released today so the operating system is literally brand new.  Going with
something new and untested by millions of end users will likely lead to
headaches as all of the software bugs become known.  Also, despite screen
reader manufacturer's claims to the contrary, brand new releases of
operating systems don't fully work with brand new releases of adaptive
technology.  There is a lag time before the two products integrate.  I
decided to wait until next year to add Windows ME to my system and go with
something that I fully know is functional and works with all adapted
technology and successfully serves the needs of tens of thousands of blind
end users.

kelly