VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
ted young <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ted young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jun 2000 22:30:01 -0400
As you requested, attached is my newsletter, Opportunity Knocks. This publication is free and represents my company's
efforts to keep you up to date with advances in adaptive technology, to pass on helpful hints, and to carry one or two
articles of general interest.
As not all readers have the capacity to handle zip files, I have adopted the practice of putting the text of the newsletter
below in the  body of the
message and attaching a zip file for those who can use it.
The zip file contains an ASCII, and a Microsoft Word copy of the newsletter. As the original was written in Microsoft
Word, formatting may suffer in the ASCII version.
I attempt to release this publication quarterly. Past issues can be found on my homepage.
Please enjoy this material and feel free to send me email with any comments, questions or requests to be removed from
this mailing list.

Theodore (Ted) young

Computer Training & Sales/Disability Consulting

464 Sylvania Avenue     phone (215) 572-5882
Glenside, PA  19038-3629        fax (215) 572-6045

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS

June, 2000

        Yes, dear reader, it is time once again for another newsletter concerning adaptive technology, that most fascinating
hyponym of the technology field. There is much happening, enough to cause those who fear change to cringe. On the
other hand, those who welcome change and see it as the potential path to progress can take some excitement from the
recent rapid changes in the blindness technology area.

Let's get started!

        CORRECTION

        Sometimes your humble author wonders who really reads this technological tome. It was gratifying to note that some
people read it and use the information. How do I know? No sooner had my last newsletter been emailed than I received
notes from several readers pointing out that I had given the wrong address for WordSmith.  The correct email address
[log in to unmask], not [log in to unmask]

TECHNOLOGY UPDATES

FREEDOM SCIENTIFIC

        The biggest news in the blindness technology field as of now is the merging of Henter-Joyce, Blazie engineering
and Arkenstone into a company called Freedom Scientific. These three, hitherto private companies, have decided to
merge their efforts. As best we can, we will cover the changes under information about each company involved in the
change. Much of it is gleaned from email and press releases. It is my hope that by pulling the information together into
this newsletter it will be helpful to you the reader.

        Before we go on to individual companies here is a description of Freedom Scientific gathered from the press
releases by the companies involved. The Arkenstone press release succinctly describes the goals and mission of the
company as follows: "Freedom Scientific is a privately-owned company dedicated to becoming the global market leader
in the field of assistive technology. Freedom's mission is to change the world for people with sensory and learning
disabilities by creating innovative, technology based products and solutions." The Henter-Joyce press release describes
the company and its funding as follows: "Freedom Scientific is headed by Richard H. Chandler, founder and former
C.E.O. of Sunrise Medical, one of the world's major manufacturers of rehabilitation products for the elderly and disabled.
Chandler resigned from his post at Sunrise in October, 1999 after 16 years, in order to form a new company focusing on
technology-based products for people with disabilities.  Freedom Scientific has been funded with an equity commitment
from two leading private equity firms, Patricof & Co. Ventures, and Summit Partners, each of which has successfully
invested in the past in businesses focused on disability products.  Credit lines and additional equity investments have
been arranged with two major banks, further contributing to Freedom Scientific's capital pool dedicated to the new
venture in assistive technology."

AI SQUARED

        In my last issue I announced that ZoomText 7.04 had just been released. Although I covered the new tutorial I did
not cover the following improvements Mentioned by John Heit in his latest newsletter. They are:

* Update CD Installable Without Previous Version
Starting with version 7.04, the ZoomText update CD can be installed on a
system without having to install the previous version.

* Support for 3D Cursors in High Color and True Color Modes
ZoomText now supports Windows' enhanced cursors (such as the 3D cursors) in
High Color and True Color display modes in Windows 95 and 98.

* Disabled ZoomText Hotkeys Now Available to Other Programs
When a ZoomText hotkey is disabled, it is now released to the system, making
the hotkey combination available for use by other programs or by another
ZoomText command.

* Installation Problem in Windows 2000 Fixed
On a limited number of systems running Windows 2000, the Setup program would
display an illegal operation message box, with a title of "_ins5176" and the
installation would be aborted.  This problem has been fixed, allowing
ZoomText to be successfully installed.

        Ai Squared will be demonstrating ZoomText at both National consumer group conventions this summer and would
welcome your visit.

ALVA

        In a press release Alva announced Outspoken SR1.  Here is an excerpt: "As of 8th June, 2000 an updated version
of outSPOKEN 3.0 screen reader software will be available. This update includes improvements to the Active Area
feature and some additional enhancements. The functionality of outSPOKEN 3.0 SR1 is the same as outSPOKEN 3.0."

        outSPOKEN 3.0 SR1 is compatible with Windows 95/98/98SE and is tested with Windows Millennium Beta3. From
this site you can
already download the 1000-keystrokes demonstration version of outSPOKEN 3.0 SR1.

        outSPOKEN 3.0 SR1 screen reader software for visually impaired computer users is available in two versions.
outSPOKEN 3.0 Solo
provides speech output; outSPOKEN 3.0 Ensemble provides both speech and braille output.

        outSPOKEN 3.0 SR1 can be customized to work seamlessly with and automate the functionality of any MS
Windows application through
a new feature called "Active Areas".   Active Areas allow the user to command outSPOKEN to perform pre-defined
actions automatically
or by using a keystroke combination.

        The outSPOKEN user interface is available in English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, Dutch, Portuguese,
Swedish, Norwegian,
Finnish, Czech and Polish."

ARKENSTONE

                On Monday, June 12, 2000, Arkenstone officially announced the sale of its Open Book, VERA and WYNN
product lines to Freedom
Scientific. Eventually all operations will transfer to Freedom Scientific's operation in Florida with Henter-Joyce carrying the
Open Book and WYNN products, and Blazie carrying the VERA stand alone reader.  Tech support will transfer to
Florida's non-toll free number in mid July.

        As for the engineering team that provided such great products, it will become a new company called Benetech
which will remain in California and continue to develop the above mentioned products plus potential new products.

        Arkenstone's motivation for this move is best expressed by Jim Fruchterman who said:  "I am personally thrilled with
this deal, and I think that it will be great for our users and our products.  Freedom will invest more in engineering and
marketing for our products, bringing better and more      products to more people.  Benetech will keep its engineering
team,  including me (Jim Fruchterman) and be paid to develop future versions of Open Book, VERA and WYNN.  In
addition, the proceeds of the sale of the business operations, several million dollars, will be dedicated to additional
research and development led by me in the field of adaptive technology for people with disabilities."  I can assure you
that the assurance of  greater resources for my products under Freedom's wing, combined with the resources from the
sale for more R&D on major new efforts, was the primary motivation for me to make this transaction."

        ARTIC

        There is a new spirit in the land.  No, it's not a drink, not a ghost, and not an overwhelming feeling of enthusiasm.  It
is the new hardware speech synthesizer from Artic Technologies. For those of you who, like your speed hungry scribe,
prefer the hardware synthesizers, this is worth looking at.

        Using the same artic voice and pronunciation that Vest brings to all Artic products the Spirit provides
"Pronunciation accuracy, fast processing,  Low cost, superior performance!  The Spirit VX comes in a rugged aluminum
case with a serial port and a rechargeable NICAD battery." It lists for $399.00, and--forgive my shameless
advertising--until July 1, 2000, you can get it here for $370.00 plus shipping. You can also get it packaged with
Winvision 97 for $599.00.

DUXBURY

        The Folks at Duxbury are never idle. Here Is information from the company's  latest announcements: Current
shipping versions: all DBT is 10;2e and MegaDots is 2.1.

        Version 10;2f is getting ready to ship this summer.  Major items in 10;2f include: New Nemeth support, specifically
support for LaTeX files. Use The Scientific Notebook (approximately $80) and you can see print math and create print
math and Large Print math, then open the file in DBT, translate it to braille, and poof math braille.

         Support for DAISY_NISO electronic file format support for MS Word 2000 Major improvements in support for MS
Word in General.

        Not too old price changes include: Arabic Supplement $894US only woks with DBT WIN 10;2e and later and DBT
WIN- MegaDots Package for $750US.  Duxbury also offers an organizational license,  for example DBT WIN: 10 seats
and higher seats at $297.50 per seat.

        Also from Duxbury comes an announcement of two new lists, the first of value to all Duxbury users, the second to
Braille Transcribers. Here is an excerpt: "Let me introduce myself.  I am Dotty Duck, and I will be writing two new online
columns designed to answer your questions about using the Duxbury Braille translator."

        "Dux101g (Gee these guys are technical) is a general "FAQ" type column intended for giving any user a way to
learn about DBT.  At
least one topic/question a day will be addressed.  I will cover topics such as scanning, using MS Word for braille, and
DBT styles (Are duck-tails back
in for hairdo's?)  Send suggestions and/or questions to me at: [log in to unmask] with the word "general" in the subject
line. To sign up send an email -- it can be empty -- to: [log in to unmask]  Or go to http:
//www.egroups.com/group/dux101g and clicking on subscribe."

        "My second column is Dux101t (The t is for transcriber, get it?) is a column intended for braille transcribers giving a
way to address real questions by real transcribers.  At least one topic/question a day will be addressed.  I will cover such
issues as how to set preliminary page numbers, creating a table of contents, and how to format a poem correctly.  If you
join this one I strongly recommend that you also sign up for dux101g!  Send suggestions and/or questions to me at:
[log in to unmask] with the word "general" in the subject line. To sign up send an email -- it can be empty -- to:
[log in to unmask]  Or go to http://www.egroups.com/group/dux101t and clicking on subscribe."

        GW MICRO

        Version 4.0 of Window-eyes is currently in the first Beta version, and how smooth and fast it is. The big new item in
this version is support for Braille displays. Let's excerpt some of the features from an article by Doug Geoffray in the Voice
of Vision newsletter for April, 2000.

"Window-Eyes 4.0 will have a very flexible, powerful, and reliable interface.  The Braille interface was first shown at the
last CSUN convention in Los Angeles.  The response was fantastic.  People love how intuitive the Braille is and how
easy it is to customize what you want."

"As of this writing, the current displays which are supported are as follows: all Alva models from series 2 up, Braille Lite 18
& 40, Braille Window (Tieman), all Braillex models, Handy Tech, PowerBraille 40/65/80, and Vario (RBT40).  Other
displays will certainly follow in time."

"You can easily switch displays at any time.  There is a "Select Braille Display" option on the Window-Eyes file menu.
This lists all the supported displays.  You simply select the one you want and the port it is connected to.  Window-Eyes
takes care of the rest.  In other words, you don't have to re-install Window-Eyes if you wish to switch to a different
display.  All displays are always available."

"A new Braille Menu has been added to the Window-Eyes control menu.  The Braille menu offers the following options:
Scrolling Options, Control Information, Dot Patterns, Translation Tables, Hotkeys, Options, Graphics, and finally an option
to turn on or off a visual representation of what is on the actual display."

"As stated, you have the option of displaying a window on the screen which shows the information being displayed on
the physical display.  This is great for sighted people who can't easily read Braille.  This visual window is not an add-on to
Window-Eyes.  It is built into Window-Eyes making it very easy to use.  Both the physical display and the Braille window
are independent of the other.  Meaning you can use one without the other if desired.  The visual window displays all the
information the physical display shows including caret and mouse positions as well as all attributes."

"The Hotkeys dialog makes setting up what you want the Braille keys to do a snap.  The Braille Hotkey dialog works
very similarly to the standard keyboard Hotkey dialog.  A list box displays all existing Braille keys setup.  Window-Eyes will
come with several preset keystrokes for each unique display.  However, if you wish to add a keypress, you simply tab to
the "Capture Braille Key" button and press ENTER.  You then press the Braille keystroke you wish to define.  This can
be any combination of available Braille keys.  Then you can add any number of  Window-Eyes Hotkeys and/or
keystrokes to the Braille keypress.  You can easily edit any keypress already defined.  This gives tremendous flexibility
and doesn't require any scripting language or programming knowledge to set up."

"Window-Eyes offers factory Braille tables for 6 and 8 dot braille for several countries.  However, you also have the
ability to have custom user tables.  You can build the user tables from scratch or start them from one of the default tables
and modify it to your specific needs.  How do you want the display to represent all the different types of controls like
Radio buttons, check boxes, menu items, etc.?  Well, Window-Eyes has defaults for all these items, but you can easily
change this information through the Control Information dialog.  You can also set up the order the information is displayed
on the screen.  This is all handled through a very simple dialog."

"The graphic dictionaries have been expanded to handle a definition for speech as well as a separate definition for
Braille."

"Information is displayed in a much more functional manner.  For example, tree views like the one used in Windows
Explorer displays all the relevant information. Window-Eyes displays the entire option not just what is visible.
Window-Eyes also shows the entire tree up the tree view whether the information is visible or not."

"The Braille options go on and on, but I hope this gives you an idea of some of the exciting things Window-Eyes 4.0 will
offer on the Braille front."

"Internet Explorer 5.x Support: We have been working very hard with Microsoft to clean up some of the known problems
in the past.  Window-Eyes 4.0 and IE 5.5 shows what can happen when two companies work together."   With IE 5.5
MSAA mode will automatically turn back on when a new web page is loaded.  Going to anchors within the same web
page now works.  Invisible information (like the Windows update page) is now gone.  The three second pause when
turning MSAA mode on manually and after a new page loads is gone.  But of course our number one priority still holds.
All this additional functionality and we are still Rock Solid."

"Window-Eyes has NO size limits.  We don't care how large the web page is or how many links are on it."

"Window-Eyes Professional: Window-Eyes Professional supports all flavors of Windows 2000.  We are currently
investigating support for Windows NT4 SP6."  Basically, Window-Eyes Professional has all the features of the 9x version
including Braille displays and Internet Explorer support.  Serial synthesizers, SAPI, Access32, and Keynote Gold
Multimedia synthesizers are supported."

"Our current projections are to have a public beta for version 4.0 available in June with the final release in September.  If
you purchased your original copy of Window-Eyes on or after May 1, 2000, you are entitled to 4.0 free of charge if you
download the upgrade from our web page.  If you purchased Window-Eyes prior to May 1, 2000, then the cost is
$100.00 plus shipping if you have version 3.1.  If you have version 2.x, the upgrade is $175.00 plus shipping.  If you
have version 1.x, the upgrade is $250.00 plus shipping."

"Window-Eyes Professional will be released by the end of the year and will cost $995.00.  It will include support for 9x as
well.  Once the Professional version is available you can upgrade your current 9x version to Professional for $400.00
plus shipping if purchased within 60 days from the release date of Window-Eyes Professional.  Versions less than the
current version can upgrade as well."

HENTER-JOYCE

As you will see, the folks at Henter-Joyce have not been idle. The biggest news is the acquisition of Henter-Joyce by
Freedom Scientific.  On April 11, 2000 in a press release Henter-Joyce stated "Henter-Joyce, the leading U.S. software
company specializing in products for blind people, has merged with Blazie Engineering, the leading U.S. manufacturer of
Braille hardware devices, to form Freedom Scientific Inc., a new company dedicated to offering a broad line of assistive
technology products for people with sensory impairments." The press release goes on to say: "Henter-Joyce and Blazie
Engineering will continue to design, develop and manufacture their respective product lines in separate business
development units, but their sales, marketing, order entry and administrative functions will be combined at the Freedom
Scientific Blind/Low Vision Group, to be located in St. Petersburg, Florida.  Freedom Scientific's corporate headquarters
will be in Carlsbad, California."

Finally, the press release quotes Ted Henter as follows: "Ted Henter said, "Deane Blazie gave me my start in business
over 15 years
ago, and we have been close friends ever since.  Our teams have worked well together on numerous joint efforts over
the past several years.  We've often
thought it would be a natural alliance to put our two companies together, but each of us lacked the necessary capital to
make it work.  When Dick
Chandler came along with access to venture capital sources, the pieces just fell into place."

In a second press release since our last issue Henter-Joyce announced a cooperative effort with Microsoft to make
Microsoft's 2000 applications more speech friendly.

The latest upgrade to JFW 3.5 is JFW3.5.37 available as a free download to registered users of JFW 35 from the
Henter-Joyce web page at www.hj.com.

Dan Clark announced in his July, 2000 newsletter that "The latest MAGic 6.2.53 version with Windows 2000
Professional compatibility has been posted and is now available for download by authorized users on our web site."  The
following URL will give you the What's new and Downloads page for MAGic 6.2:  http:
//www.hj.com/MAGic/MAGic62.html."

In the same newsletter Dan goes on to announce: "New PowerPoint tutorial. We have some exciting news for you!  As
you know, we have been working hard on a new tutorial product for Microsoft's PowerPoint 2000.  It is finally finished, in
production and is now shipping.  The suggested retail price is just $79.95 USD.  This new tutorial is awesome and you
will find it just the thing to round out your knowledge of the Microsoft Office family of applications."

"This JAWS  for Windows  with Microsoft's PowerPoint 2000 Tutorial is a comprehensive training program, designed to
take the JFW user one keystroke at a time through the concepts and steps of building imaginative, colorful, and visually
attractive slideshow presentations from a non-visual perspective.  Upon completion, you should have the tools to build
slideshows to present products, proposals, and ideas in a variety of business, personal, and educational settings.  In
general, this tutorial will prove to enhance your understanding of the combined use of these two powerful software
products."

"Some Key topics Covered in this Tutorial Include: An Orientation to the PowerPoint Application Window.  Selecting
Slide Layouts.  Inserting Objects Created in Other Applications.  Selecting Slide Templates.  Adding Transitions,
Animations, Graphics, and Sounds to Slides. Viewing Slideshows. Using Slide Sorter View. Using Hidden Slides.
Importing and Exporting Word documents to PowerPoint.  Working with Fonts. Meetings and Action Note Features.
Headers and Footers.  Print Options."

SIGHTED ELECTRONICS

        In the past several issues I have been talking about WinBraille common, I know you remember it, the software that
automatically translates Windows or internet text into grade II Braille and sends it to an index Braille printer.  Version 1
was a beta version. Version 2, which is available now, is the first production version and is about ninety per cent there.
Version 3 will be out soon.

        If you want a free copy of this software, remember it is made to work on index printers, write to David Pillischer,
Sighted Electronics, 464 Tappan Road, Northvale, NJ  07647.

SENDERO GROUP

Sendero Group and Beyond Sight are pleased to announce the pending release of GPS-Talk version 1.8. This version,
to begin shipping July 1, adds 250,000 points of interest, in several categories such as restaurants, museums, recreation,
etc.   Atlas users can also take advantage of these new points. Look for us at the summer shows. Order by July 15 and
receive a special offer.

The Atlas Tutorial is now available in MP3 files from the Sendero Group web site. For those not familiar with Atlas, check
out the talking map samples also on this site. Go to www.SenderoGroup.com, choose About Atlas and GPS-Talk and
follow the links to the item you wish.

For those of you with some usable vision, check out photos of users in action as well as product photos on the Sendero
site and remember to send us your own photos.

ATIA 2001

        It is not too early to begin planning to attend the ATIA conference that will be held January 24-27 at the Radisson
Hotel Universal Orlando. In fact, Shana advises your humble scribe that the brochures announcing the conference and
containing the registration form are being mailed as I write on June 17, 2000. Register early, the early registration fee,
due by November 15, is $250.00. If your registration form is post marked between November 16, and January 5, 2001,
the cost is $300.00. If you register when you arrive the cost is $350.00.

A peek at the Atia home page, www.atia.org, shows that attendees can choose between; "Software Training Labs,
Company Presentations, Product Demonstrations, the Exhibit Hall, Professional Presentations, the Technology
Exploration Lab, and a Table Topic Luncheon."

The presentations and sessions have been separated into five areas within Assistive Technology: Augmentative and
Alternative Communication (AAC); Blindness and Low Vision; computer Access/Curriculum Adaptation; Electronic Aids to
Daily Living; and Other Assistive Technology Fields."

To make reservations at the hotel remember it is the Radisson Hotel Universal Orlando, 5780 Major Blvd, Orlando, FL
32819, phone Number: (407) 351-1000 and Fax: (407) 363-0106.

TECHIE TIDBIT

        It seems that one can hardly call tech support without being asked to go to the Device Manager in your computer.
A quick way to get there is to use control-break. What's that, you haven't used the break key since DOS. Well it is the
top right key on your keyboard, the right most key of the group of three keys to the right of your function keys.

REVISED HOME PAGE AND ECOMMERCE COMING

        Many of you avid readers will recall that in my last issue I announced that the original homepage, ah that friendly
dinosaur, had been upgraded. Well, intrepid web surfer, new upgrades and ecommerce are coming soon. Yes, it really
will be soon since I have contracted the work.

Visit next month and take a look.

TECHIE TIDBITS

        If you hold down the Shift key when you insert a CD-ROM, and close the drive, the AutoPlay feature will be
disabled. I find that I need to keep the shift key down for about 15 seconds after closing the drive, but, there are times
when you simply don't want the autorun feature to work.

Now, don't sell that shift key short. If you hold down the Shift key when logging on, any program that is in the Startup
folder will not automatically start. This is useful when you are troubleshooting, or any other time you do not want to wait
for any automatic program startups.

MY ONLY COMMERCIAL

Don't complain.  You knew it was going to happen sooner or later, and I did wait until you got through all of the great
information above before I did it.

So let me remind you that Young Opportunities Inc. provides computers, peripherals, and adaptive technology at
reduced prices. Our discounts on all product prices and our occasional sales can add to your savings. In addition to
other products, we carry all the products listed in technology updates, and we invite you to call for further information.

        Since my last issue I have added the Voice Mate, a handy pocket sized digital personal data assistant to my
product line. Until the end of July you can purchase this item on sale for $240.00. After that time the price will be
$250.00.

CLOSING TIME

        Time, cost, and postage tell me that it is time to end this newsletter.  Please address any comments to me at the
address on the front page, or contact me by email at [log in to unmask]  Also, please feel free to visit my website at:
http://www.youngopp.com

Ted Young
Young Opportunities Inc.
464 Sylvania Avenue