VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy Ruell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amy Ruell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 15:43:04 -0500
Hello all,
This research team is requesting your assistance and participation in a
research study they are conducting.  If interested, please correspond with
her privately.

thanks.
Amy Ruell, VIBUG President

 From: "demma rodriguez" <[log in to unmask]>
Hello Amy Ruell!

This is Demma Rodriguez from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Neurology Department. Hopefully, you recall our last conversation in which
you asked me to send you a summary of the Absolute Pitch study.

What I have decided to send you is a copy of the informed consent form which
gives a summary of the study as well as inclusion and exclusion criteria.
The form is pasted to the bottom of this email.

Please excuse the delay on sending you this form. I hope you are able to
forward this to persons who could possibly participate.

Thank you for your help!

        Sincerely,
                        Demma Rodriguez

STUDY DESCRIPTION (ADDITIONAL PAGES MAY BE ADDED IF NEEDED)

The goal of this study is to determine the prevalence of absolute pitch in
early blind subjects. Using a survey and pitch-testing software, we will
attempt to determine if there is a significant difference between the rate
of occurrence of absolute pitch in early blind subjects and the previously
well documented prevalence of absolute pitch in sighted humans.

Early blind subjects will be recruited from regional schools for the blind.
After obtaining appropriate permissions from the directors of these
institutions, interviewers will make scheduled visits to these schools to
verbally administer surveys to blind volunteers. The surveys are designed to
be short and simple and ask questions regarding the etiology of each
subject’s blindness, the extent of each subject’s exposure to music, and
whether or not each subject has perfect pitch. Each survey is expected to
take approximately 10 minutes.

Subjects who report that they possess perfect pitch will be asked to
participate in on-site pitch testing to evaluate their ability to
discriminate pitch. These simple, non-invasive tests of auditory perception
will involve the presentation of computer generated tones, which subjects
will be asked to identify on a musical scale. The required equipment for
this testing consists of a laptop computer, stereo headphones, and software
for generating sounds.

Information from this study may be published; however patients will not be
identified by name in such publications.

INFORMED CONSENT FORM

PURPOSE OF STUDY:
Absolute pitch is the ability to identify a musical note without the aid of
a reference note. The objective of this study is to evaluate the occurrence
of absolute pitch among blind and sighted populations.

SUBJECT SELECTION:
Subjects for this study will be chosen from both early blind and sighted
populations of musicians and non- musicians.

PROCEDURE:
Participation will involve the initial completion of a short questionnaire.
The questionnaire asks for information pertaining to whether or not you are
blind or sighted, the amount of time and/or years you have undergone musical
training, as well as a brief medical history. Upon completion you may be
asked to participate in a pitch testing task which involves identifying a
series of musical notes played in succession. The responses will be recorded
and compared to the correct answers in order to determine whether or not you
have absolute pitch.

RISKS AND DISCOMFORTS:

There are no foreseeable risks to participating in this study. The
questionnaire and pitch testing should  take
less than thirty minutes to complete.

BENEFITS:
There are no direct benefits to participating in this study. The
information supplied will be used to better our understanding of auditory
perception in blind and sighted populations.

ALTERNATIVE PROCEDURES:

At any point in time you may decline to participate or to continue
participation in the study.

COST/PAYMENT:

You will not be financially compensated for voluntary completion of the
survey and pitch testing.

CONFIDENTIALITY:

I understand that I have a right to privacy and that the investigators on
this study will take all reasonable measures to protect the confidentiality
of my records.  My name and any other information which might identify me
will not appear in any presentation or publication resulting from this
study.  My name and any other information which might identify me will not
be available to any person or group other than the investigators of this
study, the sponsor of this study and the Committee on Clinical
Investigations of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center which oversees
all studies.

CONSENT FORM FOR CLINICAL RESEARCH

I have read the previous page(s) of the consent form and the investigator
has explained the details of the study. I understand that I am free to ask
additional questions.

If I wish additional information regarding this research and my rights as a
research subject, or if I believe I have been harmed by this study, I may
contact the Chairman of the Medical Center’s Committee on Clinical
Investigations at (617) 667-4272

I am aware that this is a research project and that unforeseen side effects
may occur.

I understand that the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center has no formal
program for compensating patients for medical injuries arising from this
research. Medical treatment will be provided for injuries at the usual
charge to me or to my insurer unless payment is otherwise provided for in
this consent form.

I understand that I may be contacted by the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical
Center’s Committee on Clinical Investigations during or after my
participation in this study as part of its efforts to monitor the experience
of subjects in clinical investigations.

I understand that participation in this study is voluntary and I may refuse
to participate or may discontinue participation at any time without penalty,
loss of benefits, or prejudice to the quality of care which I will receive.

I acknowledge that no guarantees have been made to me regarding the results
of the treatment involved in this study, and I consent to participate in the
study and have been given a copy of this form.

__________________________________
WITNESS                         DATE                    STUDY SUBJECT                           DATE
                                                        PARENT OR LEGAL GUARDIAN                    DATE
                                                        (If subject is a minor, or subject is unable to give    consent)

The subject has been given the opportunity to read this consent form and to
ask questions before signing, and has been given a copy.

PRINT INVESTIGATOR’S NAME       DATE            SIGNATURE OF INVESTIGATOR                   DATE

For any questions regarding the rights of a research subject, or information
regarding treatment of research-related injuries, please contact Nan Clark,
Manager, Research Administration, (617) 632-0586.