VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 09:07:36 -0600
From: Paul W. Schroeder <[log in to unmask]>

Dear Colleagues:

Well, it's official. The ADA/Internet hearing is set, and the witness lists
look like they're set too. Please distirube this info as widely as you can.

I encourage those in the DC area to attend. We need to show the interest of
the disability community in Internet access. I also encourage our friends
in the Internet industry to make it known that Internet access is not
burdensome to achieve.

Whatever your feelings might be about ADA applicability to the Internet or
INternet regulation in general, I think it would be unfortunate and
inaccurate if this hearing produced a feeling that INternet access for
people with disabilities is difficult, unimportant or not practical. We now
have two sets of recommended guidelines from the W3 and a third well on its
way. The foundation for access is there, we just need to build on that and
not let the "noise" that might be generated from this hearing distract us
from that.

Here are a few particulars on the hearing.

---------

SUBCOMMITTEE ON THE CONSTITUTION
NOTICE OF MEETING
Oversight hearing on
"The Applicability of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to Private
Internet Sites"