VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kelly Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 1999 18:06:00 -0500
The Wall Street Journal

   August 19, 1999 [Personal Technology]

It's the Best 'Jukebox'
For Playing MP3 Tunes

   By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

   BARRELS OF INK have been devoted to celebrating the new Internet music
   craze -- the practice of downloading and collecting songs in the
   format called MP3, for playback on your PC. Much less attention,
   however, has been paid to the software you need to play back the
   music, programs called jukeboxes.

   Personal Technology There are numerous contenders, though only a
   handful have acquired critical mass. All are free for downloading from
   the Web, but some require a payment of around $30 if you want to add
   important capabilities.

   I've been testing three of the most popular virtual jukeboxes for
   Windows PCs, and have been surprised at the results. The best program
   isn't Nullsoft's Winamp, which popularized the category and was
   recently acquired by America Online. Nor is it the most heavily hyped
   program, RealJukebox, from RealNetworks. Instead, I strongly preferred
   a less well-known contender, MusicMatch Jukebox, from little
   MusicMatch Inc., of San Diego.

   Jukebox programs should do more than just play back music. They should
   collect and organize the songs on your PC into a master database, or
   library. Then they should allow you to create and save playlists,
   which tell the jukeboxes which songs to play, and in which order. They
   should also be able to convert tracks on CDs you own into MP3 songs on
   your hard disk, a process called recording, or "ripping."

   Finally, the programs should manage and display the rich non-musical
   information contained in every MP3 file. These so-called tags can
   include the song's title, artist and album, its genre, copyright date,
   lyrics, notes on the song, and a picture of the artist or album cover.
   This information is a great boon to music collectors and a core
   advantage of the MP3 music format.

   MUSICMATCH Jukebox, version 4.1, can do all of these things, and does
   them better than the other jukeboxes I tested. It is both the most
   powerful jukebox program and the easiest to use.

   MusicMatch includes several modules, which can be displayed alone or
   in various combinations. The music player, which uses the traditional
   controls found on a CD player, is the heart of the package. At its
   side is the playlist. As in the other jukebox players, this player
   module can be shrunk to a very small size so it doesn't get in the
   way. And you can change the look and feel of the whole program by
   switching among various themes, or "skins," which alter the basic
   color and style of the software.
   [illustration]

   Other MusicMatch Jukebox windows include the music library, which
   contains all of your songs, whether or not they are included on the
   current playlist. You can play these songs individually, sort the
   library by various categories and add new songs to it with ease.
   There's also a graphic equalizer, to change the way songs sound, a
   recorder for converting CD tracks to MP3s and a mini Web browser for
   downloading music.

   But where MusicMatch Jukebox really shines is in its handling of MP3
   tag data.

   It offers numerous ways to annotate songs. And it's the only one of
   these programs that lets you display the lyrics of a song, or other
   info, along with a related photo -- usually of the artist or album
   cover -- while it's playing. It doesn't automatically provide the
   lyrics or photos; you have to add them manually or find them on the
   Web. But it handles them beautifully.

   MusicMatch Jukebox is free, but it takes $30 to upgrade to a version
   that will record CD tracks at the best sound quality. My only gripe
   about the program is that it is very demanding of the PC, and playback
   can slow down if the computer is busy doing too many other tasks.

   WINAMP IS a competent player, but it pays almost no attention to tag
   information and can't display lyrics or photos. Instead, the program
   seems built around ancillary visual effects -- displaying a sort of
   oscilloscope while the music plays. But the controls are hard to
   figure out, and the song titles and other text are hard to read. Also,
   Winamp lacks a recording function for CDs.

   When RealJukebox came out a few months back, some in the media hailed
   it as if it were a pioneer in the category instead of a latecomer. It
   has ridden a wave of hype ever since.

   It has one nice feature -- it can download songs directly to handheld
   music players, like the RioPort Rio or Creative Nomad. Otherwise, I
   found its approach to be geeky and computerish. Instead of presenting
   your songs and playlists as libraries or databases, RealJukebox uses
   an interface reminiscent of a Windows file listing. It is hard to use
   and understand, in my view.

   RealJukebox also barely uses or understands tag information. The
   basic, free edition does nothing with tags, and even the $30 Plus
   version, which you need to record full-CD quality, has a very limited
   tag-editing capability, and no ability to display lyrics or photos.

   Also, RealJukebox is aggressive and intrusive. On my PC, it kept
   trying to grab control of CD playback, even though I preferred a
   different program for playing CDs. It placed its icons all over my
   windows toolbar, and after I used one of its features, it inserted a
   plug for itself in all my song tags.

   All these programs are changing and improving, and more are on the way
   from Microsoft and other companies. For now, if you want to get the
   most out of your MP3 collection, I recommend MusicMatch Jukebox.

   If you have a question you want answered, or any other comment or
   suggestion about Walter S. Mossberg's column, please send e-mail to
   mailto:[log in to unmask]