From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:11:52 -0500
> I have a 2gig and a 6 gig hard drive that I would lke to put into the same
> computer. They are out of two different computers. They both have primary boot
> partitions with Windows 95 on them. Can they both be put in the same computer
> without having to copy all the information from one to the other, setting to
> slave, reformatting and repartitioning one of the drives.

   Depends on whether they will get along with each other and how you
plan to connect them to the mobo (if you don't want either to be a slave
then you'll need to use primary and secondary ide on the motherboard and
your CD drive may already be on secondary IDE so it would have to be
moved to a slave). If they are from the same company they will probably
work fine as master and slave. As for whether they will work properly
just plugged into the new box (referring to whether Windows will behave)
it is likely Windows will find and/or request new drivers for various
controllers (IDE and PCI, etc..). You may have to do a refresher install
of Windows over the top. I personally would reformat both drives, make
the smaller slower drive a slave (if it allows it) and do a clean
install of Windows. I have never added in two strange drives before with
operating systems on both
drives, but if they autodetect correctly in the CMOS then I assume the
first drive will be automatically set as the active partition (maybe
not...might have to check in fdisk to verify their status).

Later,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
Region 14 ESC Abilene