From:
Jerry Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 19:22:27 -0500
Patrick,
Walter did a great job pointing out the security issues concerning your
second question.

On the question about sharing the IP address among multiple computers, there
are many shareware proxy server programs that work fine and can be
downloaded from ZDNet.  I use a program called Sygate (about $30 in CompUSA
and other outlets).  While this is not a proxy server, it functions in a
similar fashion.  The computer that is connected to the cable modem is the
server and all other computers are set up as clients.

There is another issue that you should be made aware of though.  The
computer that is connected to the cable modem will have two NICs installed.
One for the cable modem, the other to connect to your hub.  Some computer
configurations have serious problems with this.  Some brands of NICs are
particularly finicky about the presence of more than one NIC.  You may have
to remove your soundcard (if you have one that uses more than one IRQ) to
install the second NIC.  You can then reinstall the sound card afterward.  I
use NICs from Linksys and have never had a problem.

HTH,
Jerry Rasmussen
Rasmussen & Bucklin Associates
Coral Springs, FL
Phone: (954)345-9129; FAX: (954)345-7889

On Behalf Of Patrick Black

On Friday my local Cable company(Armstrong) will becoming to install cable
modem net access to my computer.

I am in need of advise for 2 type of programs:

1) What is the best program out there to use as a gateway server for a
network, as I have a home LAN and wish to give
    my parents access from their computer.

2) What is the best type of security program out there to keep out unwanted
intruders(hackers and the like), but will still allow for an
  FTP server to run.

Thanks in advance for your help!

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html