From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:38:33 +0200
Hello Peter,

Saturday, February 19, 2000, 4:51:40 AM, you wrote:

PS> I have an HP 7200i CDRW drive and would like to save some of my LPs to CDs.
PS> The process of creating the audio CDs is no problem, but I wonder about the
PS> quality of sound based on the sound card I am using. My sound card is a
PS> Sound Blaster Ensonique. I would like some feedback and suggestions from
PS> some of you who have experience doing this - is my sound card satisfactory,
PS> or would I be better off upgrading before recording audio?

All recent SB cards are OK for this job. Check the recording settings
- if the card allows 44 KHz sampling rate in 16-bit stereo, it is
good.

Two problems that could be encountered while recording with sound card
are:

* Interference from nearby card. Try recording silence (from
Line-In, set rec volume to the max, but don't plug anything in the
socket). If you hear strange things, esp. regular noise, cracks, etc.
consider moving the card as far as possible from other cards, to make
the noise minimal. Try activating a CD-ROM, accessing the HDD and
floppy, etc. while recording.

* Interference from the cables. Don't use the cheap cable! It usually
introduces a load of noise to the recording. Get a quality one. You
can check by plugging in the LP player, powering anything up but not
playing. A quality "standard" cable (which you probably already have)
combined with adapter to stereo headphone-type are usually good
enough, and there is no need to purchase a special cable for that
purpose.

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| FAX (413)431-4014               ICQ 2386792
|
| Freelance website and graphics designer
| Visit my site : http://maxwd.hypermart.net
|
| Editor - Graphics artist
| NOSPIN group