BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
John Callan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:23:34 -0500
You are too kind to architecture faculty.  The traditions they are following do
not fade into any distant mist in time.  Hell the profession didn't have much in
the way of formal training a hundred years ago.  This tradition comes from rich
kids playing rich kids games on other rich kids and wasting daddy's money along
the way.  The rage exhibited by the tormenters in these stories is about people
having the audacity to want to study a rich kids's profession in a public
school, without a penis, possibly with a wife and kids .  THIS HAS GOT TO STOP!

(Something needs some editing up there.)

Hey, I had dinner with some real live preservation people this evening!  We told
stories about great buildings and silly problems, interesting problems, strange
people...mostly us...two of us swapped stories about architecture school and it
was great to discover that some one actually might have been in more trouble
than me and we drank beer and it was like taking a bath in in things I care
about and understand.  It was like being with the pinheads...but quieter.

Good news!  The beer organ was apparently not removed with the appendix as I had
feared!  It must have just been frightened into keeping quiet!  Just in time
too!  The snow and ice are gone and someone keeps thinking I need to do yard
work!

It would appear that we have experiences and training traditions that we are not
especially proud of.  Perhaps at least in preservation we can take the stand
that abuse has no value and in fact harms the work.  It is an important
principal to agree to, for we really must  train each other so that we can work
together with greater skill.  A skilled stone mason (not Ken) was recently given
an opportunity to enrich the education of an architectural project manager and
chose to be difficult and secretive.  The loss was not restricted to the two
individuals.  The building suffered and an unknown number of buildings may
suffer for the lack of the experence and the exchange of ideas.  We have much to
teach each other.  Mostly we will do it by teaching each others apprentices,
students and subordinates.

This seems to be a soap box I get up on quite regularly.  It could be worse.

-jc