BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Ken Follett <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 10:51:51 EDT
In a message dated 04/06/2000 2:25:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< bullshit is definitely cheaper than potatoes. >>

Many, many years ago wife & I lived semi-susbistence on a not-very-profitable
potato farm outside Perry City, NY. Reminded of it yesterday when commenting
that I remembered a simpler time when cooking dinner meant going outside the
house and starting a wood fire and sitting on a concrete block. Regardless,
the basement of the barn had been used to store piles, and piles of potatoes
that had decomposted and made this really incredible mulch for the tomato bed.

I'm also reminded of the time I sold bullshit by the pickup-truck load. My
elderly friend had been in maintenance at Cornell artificial insemination lab
and had been bringing the bullshit home for several years and had a few
really large mountains of the stuff. My grandfather helped me work a deal
that I could remove as much bullshit as I could shovel into my truck. I was
into shoveling non-stop and counting the shovels and doing time motion
studies etc. I then delivered the bullshit to gardeners at $1.00 per load,
this usually covered gas as I did not go very far with a full load. This was
also during a time when I was experimenting to understand the economic worth
of labor. I sold bullshit for about a month then met up with a stonemason and
elevated my position in life to busting stone. I busted stone with this guy
for about three years then decided to again go into business for myself. Only
problem was I did not like customers. It was sometime after this that I found
myself cooking dinner over the wood fire in the side yard. This was when a
majority of my friends were going to and completing college.

][<en