AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alex Redd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:29:39 -0500
** Visit AAM's new website! http://www.africanassociation.org **

Every morning as I drive along 151 south to take a right
turn off Stoughton Road onto the 12/18 west beltline, I
come across two giant size billboards. On the billboards
are group of smiling graduates from the Madison Technical
College (MATC). One of the billboards is on 12/18 west
(beltline) while the other is on 151 south on Stoughton
Road.

Among these mixed race students that appeared on the
billboard is our one and only Liberian, James Garwo, who
obtained his Associate degree from MATC and now works at
St. Mary's Hospital as a registered nurse. Before pursuing
his AA degree at MATC, James had an outstanding career
with the United States Military as a reserved officer over
the years . Modest, honest and dutiful to his family,
James' appearance on the MATC billboard symbolizes the
gradual assimilation of the African American community in
Madison.

One would wonder why the selection of James to promote
MATC educational programs. The response would be that he
has stood the test of time in his academic undertakings
and came out from the institution with excellence. Indeed,
I am proud to see my fellow Liberian selected to symbolize
the essence of diversity in this highly charged
environment of predominant population of white
Wisconsinites.

The billboard has served as an emblem of encouragement and
inspiration toward African Americans and other minorities
with the hope to strive for higher heights in pursuit of
their future career.

Thanks James. I'm proud of you. You are our EVERYDAY HERO!
You have served as an emblem of diversity and as an
inspirer to bring out the giant in others, who understand
the beliefs and values of making a lifelong career. Keep
it up!