AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Felix Ossia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 19:05:44 -0600
Abacha's Loot: Court to Deliver Ruling on Stay of Proceedings  From Julcit
Sanda in Abuja  Ruling is to be delivered today by an Abuja Federal High
Court on a prayer for an interlocutory injunction requested by Mohammed
Abacha and nineteen others .  The plaintiffs had asked the court to grant an
interlocutory order of mandatory injunction, restraining the Federal
Government (defendants-\respondents) from acting on letters of request
written and sent to various jurisdictions around the world. The plaintiffs
also asked that the letters be withdrawn.   The order sought for by the
plaintiffs is that the court should grant the prayer to stay all further
actions and steps in respect of the 'Swiss letter, the Luxembourg letter,
the Liechesten letter, and any request for assistance to the Secretary of
Home Affairs, United Kingdom and the Attorney General of Jersey and any
other third party, pending the hearing or final determination of the suit.
The plaintiffs averred that the FG has continued to write letters of formal
request for international Police assistance in a criminal matter to
Switzerland, Luxembourg, Liechtenstein and has also issued letters
requesting for assistance to the Secretary of State for Home Affairs, United
Kingdom and the Attorney General of Jersey without any reference to the
plaintiffs, and the due process of law.  In their affidavit, the plaintiffs
stated that it would be in the interest of justice to stay the various
applications and letters of request pending the determination of the suit.