VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

"VICUG-L: Visually Impaired Computer Users' Group List" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Ilene Sirocca <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Oct 2001 09:05:26 -0700
apologies to Jim, to whom I already sent this, as he'll get two copies.

        go to
http://www.fictionwise.com
and you can buy hundreds of books in reader format which will work with the
reader.  They also have them in pdf and you can download both with no extra
charge.  i'd say stay away from the big boys like random House.  I also
bought a book from
http://www.electricstory.com
through
http://www.amazon.com
which worked fine; I suspect books from electricstory are okay.  but
definitely stores and sites should start saying what security level their
books are on; sealed and inscribed are fine, but premium content is
owner-exclusive and will not work; and we need to keep asking for that to be
pointed out and for the security level to be posted before purchase.  i am
not sure that the majority of books are inaccessible, but it could happen.
microsoft is working to try to find a technical answer that will fill our
needs and satisfy the scaredy-cat publishers, or at least so microsoft says.
meanwhile, i promise you'll have a fine time at fictionwise.  and i don't
work for the company, either.  ,smile>

ilene