BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"lapsit exillas\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
"Bruce.Barrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 May 2000 09:21:13 -0700
                <PS Still don't believe in ultra-sonic pestchasers, despite
Yukon Guy
                <endorsement

                Actually, it was BC (CP) guy endorsement. Our pest problems
at historic sites have pretty well been confined to mice, squirrels and
grizzlies. We have ground squirrels, but they are benign, other than their
shrill warning call whenever people come round. I once had a baby muskrat
show up at my house, however, who managed to put a couple of pretty deep
holes in my hand before I called on a biologist friend to trap the little
guy. Her technique? A TV box and a canoe paddle.

                I should make one addendum to the above pest list. North of
Dawson City is an old power plant complex at the headwaters of the Little
Twelve Mile River. In the winter of 1995, the RCMP were retracing the route
of the Lost Patrol, up what is now the Dempster Highway to Fort McPherson in
the NWT. They camped in an old building in this complex, and preparing for
this, one of their members swept out some bat droppings. He later became
very ill, with a viral related immune system failure, and almost died. With
the aid of numerous very expensive drugs he is still with us, but I just
heard he has lost both kidneys.