BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
"BP - \"Callahan's Preservationeers\"" <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Heidi Harendza <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:00:07 EDT
In a message dated 04/23/2000 1:47:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

>  I have a 19th cent print of Weehawken and the river looking down towards
>  Linclon tunnel....or where the tunnel is now...serene and beautiful
>  I guess that the linclon tunnel and the George Washington bridge are some
of
>  the more important landmarks that are exempt from using historic
>  materials..do they in fact have landmark status? are they exempt from all
>  guidelines as such?

At the Historic Roads conference I recently attended, many of the speakers
discussed the 'original materials' issue in connection with historic roads.
Some historic roads do have original paving materials, like an example in
Duluth, MN that survives with its original Granitoid paving stones. The
majority, though, will not retain their original paving materials because of
use and exposure; however, many still retain elements like horizontal
alignment, vertical alignment, width, or original bridges, lighting fixtures,
curbing materials, or guard rails, which can provide the basis for
designation.

The Garden State Parkway (south of Toms River) was recently surveyed as being
eligible for the National Register. I know the Pulaski Skyway leading to the
Holland Tunnel has been researched and documented. So I imagine that the Geo.
Wash and the Lincoln Tunnel couldn't be far behind....

-Heidi