AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 2000 12:44:26 -0500
From:
Fabu Mogaka <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
"AAM (African Association of Madison)" <[log in to unmask]>
I too was blessed by Mother Meselesh.  I would take groups of African
American youths to the Horn of Africa and she was always warm, kind as she
imparted love and wisdom into the children.  I asked my son did he remember
eating Ethiopian food with her.  He remembered the wonderful meal.  These
days I have had much death in my family and I am weeping because I don't
want anymore loss.  I am healing through writing poetry.  I wrote this poem
from reading email testimonies about Meselesh kindness.  Fabu

In Memory of Meselesh Ayele, A Darling of Africa
"How Can We Sing the Lord's Song in a Strange Land"

It is difficult to live
in a strange, cold land
and often Wisconsin feels like both.

When there are people
whose lives offer you a resting place
then you can be refreshed in their presence.

Meselesh Ayele
a Darling of Africa
was a resting place for a great many of us.

She cared
in the finest African tradition
by offering us food, encouragement and a peaceful space:
The Horn of Africa.

Her arms and life giving spirit
embraced children, women and men.
Oh my sister, we are missing you already.

How have we sung the Lord's Song
in a strange land?
We have known and been loved by those like Meselesh,
a Darling from Africa.