From:
Helen Aqua <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Mar 2000 20:56:00 -0800

Dear Listmates:

This is the first year I've seen so many messages about the restrictions
of the Ashkenazic Passover diet versus the Sephardic Passover diet or to
put it more simply, the question of where to find "alternate" matzah
that is still in the ok range.

Here in Vancouver, BC, my rabbi (Renewal) and one of  the Orthodox
rabbi's here have taken the topic very seriously and have indicated that

1) this is not a new debate and 2) since we are celiac, of course we can
eat legumes & rice etc. during Passover.

My synagogue has its own web-site and e-mail listserve & the information
currently coming across regarding Passover foods is extremely
informative, as well as positively uplifting to someone like myself who
decided that I had no choice but to substitute a rice cake for matzah.
I sure have had to endure a lot of flack from those who figured I was
"breaking the rules".

If anyone on the celiac listserve would like to receive the posts from
me, let me know. They explain the history of how ashkenazi & sephardi
Passover customs came about & also new thinking about the ashkenazi
"fence".

By the way, I think the Manischewitz gluten free list is terrific - does
anyone know if their competitors also publish such a list?

Helen