From:
Jean Day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 13:11:55 -0700

Sorry it's taken awhile for me to get to this.  My son broke his leg (on his
10th birthday!) and is in traction at the hospital.  I have been running
back and forth and staying the night with him at the hospital.
I received some good responses for the condensed milk substitution but
haven't had the time to try any of them.  Thanks to everyone with their
suggestions and I hope I don't leave anyone out.

    I'm wondering if coconut milk or cream of coconut would work. I have no
idea, I'm just thinking about consistency and fat content.

There was a recipe to substitute sweetened condensed milk.  It uses non-fat
dry milk powder, but you probably could substitute a non-dairy powdered
drink mix.  Any way, here is the original:

Combine 1 cup instant non-fat dry milk, 3 tbsp melted margarine, 2/3 cup
sugar and 1/2 cup boiling water in a blender.  Process well.  the end
product should equal a 14-ounce can of sweetened condensed milk.

For condensed or evaporated milk one reader suggests using Jello
"cookable" vanilla pudding mix (Royal brand) with soy milk to substitute
in recipes for evaporated or condensed milk.  She says, "It works
particurlarly well in pumpkin pie.  It would probably also work in fudge
sauce -- just use a receipe based on evaporated or condensed milk.  I
add 3 tablespoons of pudding mix to 3/4 cup of soy milk to get the
equivalent of 3/4 cup of the other milks."

Someone on another list recently posted this recipe.  It might work with
a soy "milk" powder.  2/3 of a cup of powdered milk makes a quart of
milk, according to the label of the powdered milk I used to try the
recipe.  I didn't add the vanilla and didn't notice any taste problems
with the recipe I used this in.

How to Make Sweetened Condensed Milk Substitute
If you don't have sweetened condensed milk on hand, this simple recipe
will make the equivalent of a 14-ounce can.

  a.. Pour 1/2 cup of boiling water into a blender.
  b.. Add 1 cup of nonfat dry milk.
  c.. Add 2/3 cup sugar.
  d.. Add 3 tablespoons of melted butter.
  e.. Add a few drops of vanilla.
  f.. Cover and blend on high speed for 30 seconds or until smooth.
  g.. Remove from the blender.
  h.. Use in a recipe immediately or store in a covered container in the
refrigerator.
  i.. A food processor may be used to blend the ingredients.

Someone told me that you could use coconut milk.  I have never tried it.
Thai Kitchen is supposed to be GF.

One respondent suggested coconut milk, and yet another suggested use of
a product called "Dairifree" in which I could make the milk substitute
as thick as I needed to make it.  On the web, I found a condensed milk
recipe which appears as though it could be adapted easily using
Dairifree:

3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1 cup plus 2 tbsp powdered milk (or dairifree powder)

Combine all ingredients.  Heat to boiling.  Cook until thick, about 15
to 20 minutes.  Equals 1 can of condensed milk (comes from the
Centennial Cookbook)

I would mix a powered GFCF milk extra thick and simmer with honey or sugar
or stevia and add a t-T of gelatin powder or cornstarch.

Interesting posts on the St. John's no-milk list
Combine 1 cup instant non-fat dry milk or dry milk substitute like Dari-free
powder, 3 tbsp melted margarine, 2/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup boiling water in
a blender.  Process well.  the end product should equal a 14-ounce can of
sweetened condensed milk.

Crispy Squares:

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 cups smooth peanut butter
6 cups Gf rice crispies

Melt brown sugar and syrup over medium heat. Bring to boil them remove from
heat.

Stir in peanut butter until smooth.

Add rice crispies and pack into 9 x 13 greased pan.

Ask Chef Deborah any questions you want.  A while back she had a recipe
that you can make sweetened condensed milk yourself.  Just ask her for it
and she will post it right away!
<A HREF="http://vegsource.com/wwwboard/recipes/wwwboard.html">Veg Source's
Chef Deb</A>