From:
Robb Holt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Mar 2000 21:47:59 EST

Listmates:

    After one year and 6 months of being strictly GF,  I found that some of
my symptoms still wouldn't go away.   The loose stools diminished and the
mental fogginess was much better, but the fatigue, lethargy and joint pain
persisted.   I suspected that I was still suffering from malabsorption, and I
occasionally noticed bloody stools.

    Once, after overindulging on GF ice-cream and frozen yogurt, I got a
severe rash on the sides of my face and across my forehead.  The rash was
accompanied by a crawling sensation in the area of the rash (I do not have
DH).  After this episode I decided to stop all dairy products.  Within a week
of discontinuing all dairy, I noticed a gradual improvement in my fatigue and
lethargy (and the rash went away).  I've been dairy-free for about a month
now, and today I accidentally ate a GF energy bar that contained whey.
Within a few hours I developed bowel trouble and I am feeling more fatigued
with joint pain.  I am sure that this is not the typical lactose intolerance,
and I did not test positive to dairy products on an allergy screen.
    My question to the list is this:  How common   is cassein intolerance
among celiacs?    Does cassein intolerance affect the body similarly to
gluten?  Is it a separate affliction or is it related to the damage caused by
gluten?  Finally, are there any good resources out there where I can learn
more about cassein intolerance?  There is a web site called GFCF (Gluten-Free
Cassein-Free), but it didn't give much info about the actual
biological/chemical mechanism.  Thanks to all of you.  This list has been a
lifesaver.  Literally.

                                    Robb,   Maryland, USA