From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Mar 2000 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

Wendy's
-------
Thank you to member Jerry Thomas for the following
information about Wendy's fast food restaurants.  This information was
dated Jan.  28, 2000.  The following items are gluten-free (GF):
hamburger patty (without the bun), chili, all Hot Stuffed Potatoes,
salad bar, taco salad, side salad, deluxe garden salad and grilled
chicken salad (both without breadsticks), Frosty dairy dessert,
grilled chicken fillet (without the bun).  Here is some additional
information:

   Cheese Sauce:  The hydrolyzed vegetable protein in the cheese sauce
      is derived from corn and soybean.

   Chili:  The "natural flavoring" in the chili beans is soluble
      spices including white pepper, clove, allspice, and cinnamon.

   Modified Food Starch:  All "modified food starch" in Wendy's
      products is derived from corn.

   Vinegar:  All vinegar listed as "distilled vinegar" comes from
      fermentation of dilute ethyl alcohol.

   Taco Meat:  The textured vegetable protein in the taco meat is
      derived from soybeans.

   Frosty:  Natural and artificial flavorings in the Frosty are
      natural and artificial vanilla, neither of which contain gluten
      or originate from grains.

   Grilled Chicken:  Does not contain any flour or gluten-based
      ingredients.  Flavorings and colorings (caramel) are all corn
      based, as is the maltodextrin.

   French Fries:  The French fries are GF, but due to the daily
      rotation of oil in the fryers there is a chance that the fries
      could be cooked in oil previously used to cook breaded chicken
      nuggets or fish.

   American Cheese (sliced):  Artificial color is from Annatto and is
      not gluten-based.

   Chocolate Pudding:  There is no gluten in the artificial flavoring
      or coloring.

For more information, write to Wendy's International, PO Box 256, 4288
West Dublin Granville Road, Dublin, OH 43017; or call 614-764-3100.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Helpful Tips from the Readers, edited by Terry Kotlensky
-----------------------------
Last month I asked all of you that had tried recipes from Bette
Hagman's latest bread cookbook, to pass on some tips for our readers.
Jerry Thomas loves the crumpets on page 178.  She said they make a
great multi-purpose bread.  She uses the big English muffin rings for
sandwiches and the small rings for biscuits.

Other tips:  Jerry Thomas added that Red Star (yeast) is very helpful
when called.  (They have a special number for celiacs:  800-4-CELIAC.)
They are familiar with Bette Hagman.  They have a bread recipe that
uses chick pea flour she recommends.  She mixes by hand instead of a
bread machine.

Terry's tips:  I have some favorite baking products I'd like to share
with you.  For baking powder I really love RUMFORD (double acting).  I
have great results when I use it.  It's available in health food
stores and some grocery stores.  I use NOW rice flour for a smoother,
more natural, no grainy taste!  I haven't found anything else that can
compare.  It's a good buy too at $1.79-1.99 for 2 lbs.  Another
favorite of mine is a Pure Vanilla Powder that comes in a 2.5 oz.
jar.  It's in the spice dept.  at Meijers.  It can be used in all your
baking to add a nice flavor, and is good in hot beverages too.  (It is
gluten free.)

Next month I'm looking for your favorite helpful tips, whatever they
may be!  Please call me at 810- 632-3083 or e-mail me at
<[log in to unmask]>.  NOTE:  My e-mail address was incorrect in the
last newsletter.  If you e-mailed me, I did not receive it.  Sorry if
this caused any problems.  [And may the editor receive 40 lashes with
a wet, but GF, noodle.]  Thanks--Terry Kotlensky

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Kosher For Passover
-------------------
It's that time of year to thank our Jewish friends and stock up on
celiac-friendly products.  In 2000, the Jewish holiday of Passover
will be celebrated for eight days beginning at sundown on April 19th.
If you have access to a store which stocks special products for
Passover, now is the time to think of visiting them.  Many Passover
products are made without wheat, rye, barley or oats according to
strict dietary laws.  Products that are safe for celiacs:

     1. Are marked Kosher for Passover (not just "Kosher")
AND  2. Do NOT contain Matzos (can be spelled many different ways),
        Matzo Meal, Cake Meal, or Passover Flour.

There are many products available including cookies, cakes, soups,
mixes and condiments.  Many of the products can be frozen for quite a
while without any loss of flavor or texture.  But remember, ALWAYS
READ THE LABEL.--Carolyn Sullivan

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Binding Bone:  Percutaneous vertebroplasty is an outpatient procedure
in which bone cement is injected into the spine to reinforce fractured
vertebrae.  Neuroradiologist Kieran Murphy says the procedure is
remarkably effective in reinforcing bone and eliminating back pain.
Murphy, who performs about 40 vertebroplasties a year, indicated that
the technique can be effective in treating fractures resulting from
metastatic disease in younger patients as well as fractures resulting
from osteoporosis.<1>

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Why Join CSA?  A lot of our members have asked that question.  They
say, "Our local chapter is great!"  (Thank you, flattery will get you
everywhere.)  "Why should we join CSA too?"  Well, consider these
points:

* We are lucky.  Many people are isolated, or have no local support
  group.  Our support of CSA helps all of them.

* Numbers speak.  The more members in the national organization, the
  bigger our collective voice.

* Our chapter works with local hospitals.  CSA works with the NIH,
  large research universities, etc.

New membership in CSA is $28, renewals are $20.  New members receive a
very useful handbook and all members receive Lifeline, CSA's quarterly
newsletter.  For more information, write to CSA/USA, PO Box 31700,
Omaha, NE 68131-0700; call 402-558-0600; fax 402-558-1347; or e-mail
<[log in to unmask]>.--Tom Sullivan