From:
Jeanne Prine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:56:38 -0400

Hi, everyone.  Michele Wind asked about substitutes for
benadryl.  This isn't medical advice (I'm the webmaster for a
college of pharmacy but not a pharmacist and definitely not a
doctor!)--just based on personal experience.  I had a very
severe reaction to benadryl years ago and doctors told me not
to ever take it again, so I've been using vistaril (hydroxyzine
pamoate) ever since.  I don't take it very often--maybe once
or twice a year--but have not had any problems with it.

It can make you very sleepy and may limit your activities (no
driving, etc.), but I've been told it's considered a fairly
benign drug.  Just for the record, there are very few drugs I
can take safely, but vistaril has been okay for me for the
past 20 years or so.  You might want to ask your doctor about
it.  Hope this helps.

All the best,
Jeanne Prine <[log in to unmask]>
Athens, Georgia