From:
Lisa Marino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:57:39 -0500

Is there anyone out there who has been diagnosed with both celiac disease
and ulcerative colitis?

I have had both for several years.....diagnosed with celiacs in 1982 (with
blood test) and colitis (beginning as proctitis) in 1984.  I didn't stay on
a gluten-free diet until 1996, and of course had paid severely all those
years with a myriad of complaints as well as full-blown ulcerative colitis.

In 1994, I started on asacol for my colitis and it has worked wonders, then
the elimination of gluten two years later made me feel actually healthy.  I
have some concerns though:

Does anyone know if asacol contains any gluten?
And if anyone is in a situation similar to mine, do you have trouble with
gas and bloating? Or is that in itself a symptom of celiacs?

I'm experiencing excessive flatulence and bloating....any recommendations
for treatment?

One more thing...how do you get your spouse or significant other to
understand your limitations and difficulties? My husband is not very
understanding.

Any help is appreciated, and I will digest all responses to possible help
others.

Thanks....Lisa in North Carolina