From:
Rebecca Goyan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:04:48 -0700

Hi!

People always ask for suggestions for birthday cakes and I now have
two.  I just celebrated my 27th birthday and three years of being gf (I
got the "Happy 24th Birthday!  Don't have any cake..." diagnosis).  My
mother made a gf trifle, the recipe for which is in The Gluten-Free
Gourmet Cooks Fast and Healthy.  She used the Kinnikinnick angel food
cake mix and instead of soaking it in liquor, she made a purree of
strawberries and orange juice and soaked it in that.  Nobody could tell
that it was gf from the taste, although the angel food cake is a little
grainier and heavier than a normal one, although after 3 years, I can't
really tell the difference anymore!  I had the rest of the cake and it
even tastes good cold by itself.  The trifle looked and tasted
wonderful, and although as a confirmed chocoholic I never thought I
would say this, I would actually prefer it to a chocolate cake anyday.
That said, my second suggestion for a birthday cake that everyone will
like is to make a flourless cake using ground nuts, eggs, sugar, and
cocoa, recipes for which can be found in the archives.  Since my
labmate's birthday is only 5 days after mine, I'm going to make one of
those again this year to celebrate our birthdays.  Everyone loved it
last year.

Happy baking!

Becky :)
Calgary, Alberta