From:
MICHELLE ADAMS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:49:13 -0500

Thank you to all that responded.
My question was that I needed a Gluten Free Tomato
Sauce, paste, etc. for the family tradition of Stuffed Cabbage.

The replies were varied -

3 said Muir Glen (at health food stores)
7 said Contadina
4 said Del Monte
1 said Ragu
1 said that Hunts was on our GF list as OK
1 said most all have gluten
These three were very informative, so I just copied them -
I just got a letter from "Red Gold" tomatoes, (P.O. Box 83, Elwood,
Indiana  46036  (765) 754-7527).  They make the following claim:

"Thank you for your recent phone call concerning the use of
glutens, soy, citric acid, dairy products or eggs in the
manufacturing of tomato products produced by our company.

Our products contain no added colors, thickening agents or artificial
flavors.  The majority of the vinegar used in our products is derived
from a grain alcohol based fermentation.  The grain used in this
process is corn.

The sweeteners we use are all derived from corn.  Corn gluten
would be the only gluten present in the Red Gold brand.  We also do
not use any soy, dairy or egg products.  Although we do not
routinely add citric acid to our product, it is naturally present in
tomatoes and tomato paste used to make
them.

Thank you for your inquiry.  Please feel free to contact me if you
need any further information concerning the products that we
produce.

Sincerely,

Red Gold, Inc.
===================

YES, Del Monte,  which also makes Contadina,  Healthy Choice and
Ragu are companies I contacted, though I don't have all the info and
#s handy.  All said avoid any with cheese.

Del Monte   (800) 543-3090  called 11/2/99  "All products are GF,
except  pickles and Contadina Italian seasoned paste and bread
crumbs"

Healthy Choice  (800) 323-9980  called  11/1/99  "Pasta sauces are
GF, popcorn is GF"

S&W (888) 884-7269  called 11/2/99    Sent comprehensive list, all
their tomato products and sauces are GF, unless they have one with
cheese, which I don't believe they have.

Most, but not all, canned tomato sauce and tomatoes have gluten
in them. The safest is Glen Muir. The can is even lined so there is
no problem with the reaction of the acid with the metal.

I used Contadina Tomato Puree and Tomato Paste and haven't had
a reaction, but the fact that the answers were so different is scary.

Thanks Again, Michelle A. from MD