From:
Jean Shott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 14:14:58 EST

Boy, did I hit a nerve!

I got over 30 responses to my question about dry eyes and nose.

10 messages suggested being checked for Sjogren's syndrome.  ( I looked this
up, the symptoms don't match).

2 people had similar problems associated with roseacea.

Several people suggested it might be allergies - seasonal, animal, makeup.

One person suggested I check my medications for dryness being a side-affect.

Several people in the Midwest said they noticed more trouble than usual due
to the dryness of the winter air.

A couple of people observed that their previous "runny" noses dried up after
becoming GF.

One person had plugged oil glands that caused her problems.

One person said doctors do not advise humidifiers - they spread bacteria.

Hypothyroidism caused one person to have similar problems.

Suggested remedies:

Zinc as a supplement
Alcon's eye products
Vaseline in the nose
Vitamin E as a supplement
Try removing sugar from diet
Crolom (a prescription eye-drop)
Saline solution
Lacraserts (a prescription eye med)
Refresh eyedrops
Murine Tears

One person switched from gas-permeable lenses to disposable lenses which
helped.

Thank you to all who answered!

Jean
Copley, Ohio  USA