From:
Dave Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2000 19:44:45 -0800
  I've recommended that users who alternate between directly
connecting to our network and dialing via an ISP consider installing
a utility that lets them easily swap network configurations, such as
Symantec's "Mobile Essentials".  (Full version is $70, but they have
a Personal version you can download for free which might be
sufficient.)

  DHCP is Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.  When your machine is
configured to use this, then when the network connection starts up
(at boot or dial-in time), it asks around for a DHCP server, and if
one can be found then it obtains a configuration from there.  This
will include a "lease" on an address; if the PC is disconnected from
the network, it won't renew the lease, and eventually the DHCP server
may re-issue that address to someone else.
  There are a bunch of other configuration parameters that can be
supplied via DHCP, such as the addresses of local WINS and DNS
servers.  It can simplify life for both users and admins....

David G

On 11 Feb 00, at 18:04, Doug Simmons wrote:

> Our Work network does assign IP addresses by DHCP.  They are assigned and
> are good for 7 days (how???) and are renewed if you log on at least once a
> week.  (I have no idea what I just said means!!!)  Just quoting our Network
> administrator.  So you are saying that all I would need to do is plug in
> and I will logon to whatever network I connect to using TCP/IP?  I have
> heard good things about Sygate and would not mind having it if it would do
> this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug
>

> At 2/8/00 03:55 PM , Patrick Black wrote:
>
> >I would suggest you get the shareware version of Sygate when you get Cable
> >in your area.  Also you can purchase an additonal NIC for the server
> >machine.
> >
> >Then you can set up Sygate to assign IP's to each machine on the network
> >when they log in using DHCP. To enable DHCP support in windows, Goto Control
> >Panel>Network>TCP/IP select the WINS tab, select ENABLE DHCP at the bottom
> >of that window.
> >
> >You might contact your Network Administrator and see if your Work LAN also
> >supports DHCP, that way you won't have to go in and change IPs.
> >

> >--Patrick Black

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org