From:
Julie Kangas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:50:34 -0800
Another newbie has just joined the ranks
of pemmican lovers!  Yes, I got my cheapo
food dehydrator and got busy.

About the dehydrator:  It was the one I
mentioned from www.sportsmansguide.com for $40.
It's a no name model and, to be truthful, I'm
going to upgrade when I can.  Rotating trays
is a real drag and I suspect it runs a little
hot (no thermostat).  But, it's the right cost
for my budget at the moment and it will be getting
a lot of use.

I used top round steak that I sliced myself - gotta
love those Rapala filet knives.

I then found a place that can order suet.  Like a
dummy though I didn't ask the price.  Turns out
they wanted $20 for 5 lbs.  I was able to talk
them down to $12 but I'm not sure what I'll be able
to get next time.  Rendering went a lot easier than
I thought it would.  I did learn not to put the
strained-out pieces into a plastic container <bg>.

For the moment I'm stuck with chopping the jerky
into pieces with a knife.  I've learned that a
"mini-chopper" is in no way a substitute for a
food processor.  Nothing is more disheartening that
watching a piece of jerky go roundandroundandround
while stuck to the blade.  Hmpf!  Anyway, that's
another item on my list for later purchase.  Until
then, it's going to be "Aren't I lucky!  I got a
chunky bit!"

But finally, the moment arrived.  I had pemmican
ready to try.  I've never had any before, and to be
honest, am not a real big jerky eater.  Oh, I like
it but it's not something I crave.  So, with some
misgivings, I placed the little morsel in my mouth...

Ahhhh.  Paradise.

This stuff is delicious.  I can't describe just
how delicious it is.  I think I'm addicted.

I've got to go make tons more.  A big thanks to
Ray and everyone else who extolled its virtues.

Yummmm.....

Julie