C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 18:52:51 EST
In a message dated 03/31/2000 3:30:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< That's one of the reasons why I'm glad you are getting a powerchair,
 Betty. Not only will it let you be more independent, it will also make
 you less prone to do violence on your "friends!!!" :)
 Mike

HA -- I know and my friends will appreciate it too, won't they?  That was a
long time ago now.  I was just starting to figure out what things were
irritating me and I didn't know how to speak up for myself yet.  I didn't
want to be rude to anyone.  It took me a while to realize how rude it was for
somebody to do something like that.  I needed some help to get through the
trails but invariably whoever was helping me would end up taking over and
pushing when I didn't need or want to be pushed.

Plus, once I finally gained enough confidence in the person who was pushing,
I would relax and not worry about handling the brake or anything.  That's
about when the pusher would see an interesting bird and forget what they were
doing to look through the binoculars.  I'd still think they were pushing
until I'd start to go off to the side into the woods.  Somebody ran me into a
tree once.  They'd usually always push me too close to the person in front of
me, and I would be afraid that they will ram me into that person.  Finally I
just quit going because it what used to be a peaceful experience ended up to
be nerve-racking endurance test.  That ain't birdwatching.  I'm glad I'm
getting the power chair too.  I miss going on birdwalks big time.