C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jason Sherlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:45:39 -0500
Hello everyone!
    My name is Megan and I am new to the list. I am a student at Cabrini College in Radnor, Pennsylvania.  I am majoring in special education/elementary education.  I previously worked as a licensed an occuaptional therapy assistant at a residential home for special children.  I was recently in a car accident that forced me to go back to school sooner than I thought.  I love working with children, it is so rewarding to see their smiling faces that is one of the many reasons I chose to go back for education.
    I was wondering if you could answer a few questions that would share your frustrations and experiences with me about the educational system and the IEP process that you have had to deal with for your child. I would greatly appreciate any information/feedback that you might have to share with me.  I want to find out as much as possible because I want to be the best possible educator I can be!
Questions:
1. What is your opinion of the full inclusion movement and were you involved in it?
2. In what way is your child included in the regular school program and do you feel that approach is effective and appropriate?
3. How has the IEP process been effective or ineffective in meeting your goals for your child?
4. What has been the most successful part of your child's school program/experience, and why?
5. What has been the most frustrating part of your child's school program/experience and why?
6. What are the essential skills that you want to see in a Special Education teacher?
AND
7. What would be some suggested improvements that you would like to see implemented in your child's school/community program?

    I greatly appreciate any feedback, even if you could just let me know that you received it because I have been trying to send mail for two weeks.  Thank you for taking the time to read and answer the questions.

                                        Sincerely,
                                                Megan