C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 12:42:26 -0400
Hi,

For those of you who don't know me, I'm a 15 year old American with mild
spastic diplegia cerebral palsy.  It affects my legs, and my
coordination to some extent.  I use a manual wheelchair for ease of
mobility.

I'm just beginning to come to terms with the fact that I'm going to need
to learn how to do more things on my own, because I'm planning to go
away to college in just under two years. My biggest problem is
toileting, as that's one of those things that you can't predict and say
"Oh, I'll have a carer come in for an hour in the morning and the
evening and help me."  I could learn to transfer myself, and I'm making
some progress.  But, the availability of accessible bathrooms is very
unpredictable.  I'd like to remove that worry from my mind, and I've
started to consider catheterization or something like it as an option.
If you have other methods of dealing with this problem, please enlighten
me.

Because my CP is mild, it's not something I know very much about.  I'd
appreciate information from those of you who have been there.  My major
questions are:

How conspicuous is it?
How does it affect your sexuality?
How high-maintenance is it?
How safe is it?
How expensive is it?
For the ladies, does it handle menstrual flow as well?
And, are there options like it for defecation, or only urination?

Again, I'm still in the very early phases of investigation, and I'd like
to gather as much information as possible.  I'm not at all sure this is
the route I'd want to pursue, so I'd like to be able to make an informed
decision.  I'd appreciate your input.  If you don't feel comfortable
posting to the list about such a delicate subject, please feel free to
e-mail me.  My address is in my signature, the first line below my
name.  Please forgive the cross-posting, but I'm trying to reach as many
people as possible.  If you know anyone who might be able to help, feel
free to forward this to them.  Again, I'd appreciate information about
any means of dealing with this problem, not just catheterization.  Thank
you very much!
--
~Joy~
http://home.earthlink.net/~joy0823