AXSLIB-L Archives

AXSLIB-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Allegrini, Julia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:28:13 -0500
Karen,
As part of a field placement, I did a workshop for library staff on this
topic.  And while I will have to dig out my papers etc.  I found the following
helpful.
1.  Learn all you can about the student population.  I learned for example
that most of the students with "disabilities" (and I use that word very
advisedly) had information processing challenges. Because of this I ended up
doing alot of research on styles of learning and the different types of
intelligences.  I also concentrated methods to help library staff understand
theirs, quickly assess a patrons and develop some fundamental strategies for
helping people in different ways.  Example, a kinesthetic learner would learn
more by sitting at the computer and keying in the searches to learn Boolean
search methods wereas a visual learner would benefit from the classic venn
diagram (Lesson, always be prepared to teach/instruct using several different
styles). If the population I would have expected to have to tailor my research
differently.
2.  Try to get a rudimentary understanding of those issues and how that
related specifically to information/knowledge/access services.
3.  Concentrate on the general service ethic of the profession.  Emphasize
that you generally aren't talking about different skills but modifications of
current skills.
4.Depending on demographics be prepared for integrated groups.  Again, at the
university where I worked a librarian would never know that 98% of the
students served by the offices of disability services were "disabled."
Concentrate on the lit for good instruction.
5.  Be prepared for the discussions of "political correctness"  Should I ask a
student if they need help? Will they be offended if I offer.  Is that a
special service?

So no specific sources, but I sure learned alot and think the people I worked
with did also.

Julia Allegrini

===== Original Message From "Library Access -- http://www.rit.edu/~easi"