VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Fowle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 1999 12:11:01 -0700
On the article about backsliding public and private agencies in access,
There are a couple human overriding principals we all fall prey too:
We will ALL find some reason to hate and fear anything or anybody
different.  Any of you who think you're never prey to this failure don't
know your selves well.

There is no doubt that it is very expensive to provide access and that many
such provisions spend a lot of money to serv a relatively small number.

The vapid "rarely true" belief that all accessibility provisions
make the world better for the nondisabled is wishfull thinking in
almost all cases.

A Deeply embedded belief that disabled people should REALLY have
free access will take generations to become a part of usual
thinking.  It's always gonna be a struggle and we will always
have to do things again and again.  We don't have to like it,
just recognize it.

If you don't believe this, ask a black person or a native
American.

Tom Fowle