From:
"Changhsu P. Liu" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 10:35:41 -0500
At 10:30 PM 03/15/00 -0600, you wrote:
 >Hi All,
 >
 >Sorry for such an opinionated question, but,
 >
 >I've tried various brands of CD-ROM drives in the systems I've built, BTC,
 >Creative Labs (also BTC), Sony, Acer, umm, others.
 >
 >I have only purchased a couple Lite On drives and have had good luck with
 >them, but the Sony's, for instance, out of the last 5 I've ordered, 2 have
 >had to go back and I can't handle those odds.  So, any suggestions for a
 >Good, Stable, DEPENDABLE brand CD-ROM Drive?

Here is my experience with another brand. I purchased a Kenwood 62X CD-ROM
recently. While it's fast, it is also unable to read any of the CD-RWs I
made in Plextor.

I'd like to know why does CD-ROMs (or CD-R) mount so fast on compaq
computer (or maybe a few name brand too). Although the CD-ROM drive is
rated only at 12X, but it takes a second or 2 to mount any CD-ROM. It takes
at least 2 to 3 seconds to mount a CD on my 62X CD drive? Is there anything
I can do to make mounting faster. There is no CD cache software for either
system. No matter whether the CD is inserted to the CD drive the first
time, the one on compaq just mount so much faster. I believe it's a SONY drive.

Changhsu Liu

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html