From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:34:43 -0700
At 04:40 PM 03/06/2000 , J. Paul Jones wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>The particulars of my system:
>
>AMD K6-2/350
>FIC 503+
>ISA PnP Turtle Beach TBS-2000 sound card
>ISA PnP Zoom 2919 hardware modem, jumpered for non-PNP, COM 2, IRQ 3
>
>I have an intermittent problem with my sound card.  A few months ago, I
>turned my computer on and had no sound.  Checked Device manager, and sure
>enough, no sound.  No midi, no joystick, no sound except for "Wave device
>for voice modem".  I tried everything I could think of for a few hours:
>Remove all sound devices, get updated drivers, check BIOS settings for PNP,
>manually install, automatically find hardware, etc.
>
>Then a couple of days later, Sound magically reappears.  Next day, no
>sound.  After a few days of scratching my head, and looking for a new sound
>card, I notice an IRQ conflict between the modem and midi.  The modem was
>using IRQ 3 but the I/O address was for COM 3 (don't remember the number).
>I pulled the modem and corrected my error (why did it work for 3-5 months?)
>
>Voila! With the Modem set for COM 2 Sound card is found, drivers installed
>automatically, everything works!
>
>Now, the problem returns.  If I remove the modem (physically), reboot,
>allow sound drivers to install, reinstall modem, reboot, all is fine until
>the "next time" whenever that is.
>
>I have just installed DirectX 7 drivers and a game demo recently.

I am going to guess here that you are using Windows98 with the FIC 503+
board.   I went through several of these configuration issues last summer
with Win98 and this motherboard...  there at times appear conflicts between
Win98 and this motherboard.

A few things to try to solve the issue:

1)  In the BIOS CMOS settings, change the PNP setting from Automatic
to Manual.  Than, assign the IRQs for these devices to ISA.

2)  In Device Manager for each driver, under the Resource Settings, "uncheck"
the box for "Use Automatic Settings."   This is suppose to keep Windows from
reassigning IRQs and other resources to the device driver.

I stopped using this motherboard last summer due to the conflicts with
Windows98.  I have not checked back to their web site, but check to see
if they have a BIOS upgrade.  That maybe your best solution.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html