Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 2000 18:32:18 -0500
Arthur,

It's not my intention to take the position that we should eat neolithically.
I only want to point out that the matter is not entirely settled and should
not be considered "hard fact".

I wouldn't be here if I didn't believe a paleo diet was superior to the
modern western diet, but I base my opinion not so much on the fossil
evidence or on assumptions about the health of paleolithic people as I do on
what I know of nutrition and on my faith in some general principles of
biological evolution.

> If you take a look at Asians in the United States, the children are
> noticeably taller and stronger-boned than their immigrant parents. This is
> obviously due to the newly adopted western diet

Well then perhaps we should forget this paleo stuff and adopt the modern
western diet! (just kidding :)

> that is much higher in
> animal protein and calories than the rice-based diet

It wouldn't change the basic point you are making, but I've heard that the
asian effect you mention is due probably not so much to rice, but rather to
phytates which might be present in rice but are especially heavy in some soy
products. Phytates inhibit the enzyme trypsin, which is needed to digest
protein.

-gts