Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:07:16 -0500
There is admittedly a certain purity in the idea of vegetarianism and even
more so for veganism. I would argue for veganism but for the fact that I
accept the theory of biological evolution and also accept the evidence that
our evolutionary ancestors ate animal flesh. I don't believe it is wise to
argue with mother nature.

On the other hand, the more I learn about human diet and evolution, the more
convinced I become that our metabolism and digestive systems are amazingly
versatile. It seems we homo sapiens are a bit like garbage cans, able to
thrive and prosper on just about anything, and that this remarkable fact is
under-emphasized in the popular literature. Perhaps all of us (vegans,
vegetarians, paleodieters and whoever else I've missed) are putting more
emphasis than is justified on choosing the "biologically correct" foods.

The mere fact that the biologically correct diet is not obvious to everyone
in the world is evidence in itself that the correct proportion of
carbs/fat/protein doesn't make quite as much difference as we would like to
think. If it were obvious and clear-cut then it would not be debatable.

I try to optimize my diet because I am attempting to feel healthier and to
prolong my life-expectancy. But the reality is that I will probably get run
over by a truck. My last thought will probably be something like "Oh damn, I
wish I had eaten more ice cream".

-gts