From:
ardeith l carter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 08:54:51 -0500
On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 05:53:10 -0600 Justine Shrider
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
> The vegetarians I know are all ages. They try to eat wholesome,
> unprocessed
> foods. They believe in "living lightly on the land" and tend to be
> independent thinkers.

Ardeith writes:
How does putting hundreds of thousands of acres of land
to the plow to raise wheat, barley, rye, beans, corn, and all
the other grains and vegetables constitute "living lightly
on the land"?   I think vegetarians pat themselves on the
back far too often in this regard.....without justification.

In "Diet for a Small Planet" I remember reading something
about how much food....protein, I think....could be reaped
from ten acres of land.   The comparison was between
how much vegetable protein could be grown vs how much
animal protein.........seems more vegetable protein could
be grown, which would feed more people......which I
think is the root of the whole thing.......this planet doesn't
need to be feeding more people at the expense of other
lifeforms.

Every now and then I have a nightmare about this little
world of ours......one in which every scrap of land is
covered with human crops.....the only trees are those
that can live in very high rocky land or in swamps that
are too big to drain........no animals.....except our pets
that we can feed the same stuff people eat......diversity
gone......the planet becomes one huge food production
organism to feed humans......awful...........and the humans
live underground or in towers..........equally awful....

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.