From:
Bill Dooley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 18:17:25 -0800
Amadeus Schmidt wrote:
> please don't call our ancestors only 'taters eaters.
> They were masters of all grains. Knowing how to process them.

They were good whiskey makers, too, but at the time of the Famine, the
Irish were very heavily dependent on the potato crop. If the book
Trinity has any truth to it, the English landowners were astonishingly
brutal in their treatment of the Irish at that time, but that's another
matter.

The other half of my family tree is fromn Poland, another people fond of
potatoes. The loss of potato pancakes with sour cream is something I
still mourn at certain times of the year. I don't know what they ate
before potatoes came from the New World. Something to look into...

Bill Dooley