C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 19:01:20 EDT
So true -- it's cathartic to whine (unless you make it a way of life).
Really, this is more like venting.  When I think about it, my life couldn't
have turned out better.

I adore children, and there are two children, Hank and Gus, where I live.  My
window is always open and I can hear them out side laughing and playing -- it
makes me feel YOUNG!  When I see them they call me "Miss Betty."  Is that
cute or what?  There parents will not allow them to address adults by their
first name, but with close friends that's how they do it.  They call my Mom
Mrs. Clark.  They are also very good to her.  They are only two and four, but
they know that she is sick and they pay special attention to her when they
see her.

This is so adorable.  The last time I was at their house was the day before
Easter.  I laid my crutches next to me where I was sitting.  When I went back
home that night, I saw that those children had put three Easter stickers on
the crutches.  They are cool about the wheelchair too.  They are just too
cool!

We had a little unplanned block party on Easter, and another neighbor came
out with a bunch of balloons. She knows how to make the balloon animals and
stuff.  She made these cute balloon hats for the children, but the adults
ended up wearing them: A psychologist, an FBI agent (Hank and Gus' Dad who's
name is Kevin), me, my Mom, and assorted other people who completely lost
their credibility that afternoon.  We had a blast!

Also, Kevin and his wife Cathy have been so attentive with us it's
unbelievable.  They check on us every few days to see if we need anything,
and many times when Kevin comes, he doesn't just pop in and out, he stays to
visit.  This has been very special for my Mom. I think he's like the son she
never had or something.  Kevin had been in the thick of things last Monday
with the protesters in DC, and he was totally beat when he got home.  But he
still went to the drugstore for us, and came by to visit for a while.  They
are just completely not to be believed!

My next door neighbors are expecting their first child in August.  Somewhere
in this city, Amber is doing her Amber agenda right now.  I know that child
loves me, and I love her too (and her dear Mom of course).  There are other
children in my life as well.  I don't have any of my own, which is fine,
given my circumstances.  But there are so many children in my life that I
don't feel short changed in any way -- not in any way.  Children have the
most special place in my heart, and I have been blessed with the company of
many of them in my life.

Point being that even though I feel this need to vent about the bad stuff
periodically, I am totally aware of how fortunate I am in this life.  Really,
I am completely blessed.

Sappy post # 472...collect the whole set!

In a message dated 04/27/2000 5:59:24 PM Eastern Daylight Time,