C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Brian Peaceman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 11:26:58 EDT
Just wondering if anyone else saw last night's episode of ER regarding the
treatment of the young lady who had multiple disabilities including mental
retardation.  While I recognise that ER is not entirely based in fact I do
believe that this situation echos the feelings of the majority of the medical
establishment.  The woman presented with a non-life threating infection
requiring a central line and antibiotics.  Most of the doctors and her
"guardian" write her off saying that she is better off dead anyway.  I ask
who are we to place a value or devalue on human life regardless of how severe
one's disability is?  As a person with moderately severe CP I am sometimes
viewed as retarded yet I graduted cum laude from college.  Often doctors
disregard my needs, wants, and desires.  One of the ways that I combat this
is by finding doctors who are truly sensative to my needs.  This is not
always possible as emergencies do arise.  I am just interested in hearing
others thoughts regarding this issue.

BRIAN