C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dana Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 10:02:23 -0700
Dina, while I appreciate what you're telling Bob, here... you need to get
your facts straight about the pump. There is a trial dose of baclofen
given, and if the person doesn't respond well, then the pump is NOT
implanted. There are actually two trials done. One with 50 ml of baclofen,
and if the person doesn't respond to that, then a second test of with 100
ml is given. If after that, the person doesn't respond, then they aren't
implanted. Yes, the pump and catheter has to be replaced, in about 5 to 7
years, because the battery dies in the pump. The pump can be adjusted to
give a varying dose of baclofen depending on what you need. IF for some
reason, the pump doesn't give the person what they want, they can just
LEAVE the pump in, and turn off the dosage of baclofen, if the person
doesn't want surgery right away, or wants to test w/o the pump and
baclofen. I know several people that have a pump, and they have not had any
problems with infections or the catheter and pump. Yes, you will go in
quite frequently to get the pump adjusted when you first have it, or if
your body changes, but that's a painless, 5 minute procedure, and it'll
take you LONGER to get into the exam room than it will for the person to
point the wand at the pump and reprogram it.

While I appreciate that you don't have much pain doing all the things you
do, I DID make the statement that the pump wasn't for everyone and that it
is the person's decision, but you never said that for your ideas... just
that it was all positive. Sorry, I know some negatives for your methods...
one, my husband is DEATHLY allergic to horses, so if I did horseback
riding, I'd have to find a ride to whereever, then when I come home, I'd
have to immediately wash all my clothes, my service dog, and my wheelchair.
As for Rolfing, a friend has had good luck with that, but it costs money
that insurance won't pay for usually. The pump and the refills (that happen
between 30 days and 90 days, are paid by Medicare and most insurances.

Dana