AAM Archives

African Association of Madison, Inc.

AAM@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kelechi Eke <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
AAM (African Association of Madison)
Date:
Fri, 20 Jul 2001 11:19:47 -0700
Azu,

I concur with you that our women should go ahead with
the planned action if it will take that to change the
political culture in Nigeria as they remain part of
the most beautiful creatures in the face of the earth.

I was not around during the colonial days but from my
understanding, colonialism disrupted the traditional
systems in indigenous Nigerian (and other African)
societies, reinforcing the existing systems of social
and political inequality and introducing oppressive
forms of social and political stratification
throughout the continent.

Unfortunately, many Africans as a whole are still
mentally colonized - forgetting the roles of our women
during the pre-colonial days and the importance of
their views.  Since they are the "mothers of the
nation", our women should do whatever they feel they
have to do to be heard.

KC

Kelechi Eke
http://www.africansnetwork.com